Markings on Oscar’s. Everyone else is fine

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone

I’ve got 3 Oscar’s in my 180g community tank.

water parameters all fine, 2 water changes per week. 1 x 70% with a 30% 3 days later.

move noticed the last month or so that the Oscar’s have markings on fins (not ich) and a hole in one of the fins (this Oscar can become lethargic and settle in the corner every few days.

Also does this look like hole in the head on one of the pictures?

thanks in advance

84BB6D15-0867-4ADA-91D6-DD09029BDAAC.jpeg

2D6C93B2-0D4F-418C-92EB-D5D020BA41CC.png

9D8EA7EF-1561-4CA5-8D15-13086902F591.png

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone

I’ve got 3 Oscar’s in my 180g community tank.

water parameters all fine, 2 water changes per week. 1 x 70% with a 30% 3 days later.

move noticed the last month or so that the Oscar’s have markings on fins (not ich) and a hole in one of the fins (this Oscar can become lethargic and settle in the corner every few days.

Also does this look like hole in the head on one of the pictures?

thanks in advance

View attachment 1506739

View attachment 1506740

View attachment 1506741
Possibly the lowest in rank among the of the 3 Oscars and being harassed. Also I see a another fish in the pic that could have done damage.

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
Possibly the lowest in rank among the of the 3 Oscars and being harassed. Also I see a another fish in the pic that could have done damage.
Thanks for reply,

so You don’t think it’s fungus or anything on the fins/head? Just damage from other fish so I need to look at the stocking?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for reply,

so You don’t think it’s fungus or anything on the fins/head? Just damage from other fish so I need to look at the stocking?
It doesn't look like fungus to me. After looking at the pic again the other fins aren't nipped or torn so ruling out harassment. I would stand near and observe the aquarium for awhile.

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The spots on the fin remind me of lymphocytosis, which is a viral infection. It is generally harmless and goes away on its own with good care.
What are your nitrate levels?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The term "fine" when it comes to water parameters, is a bit too vague, because "fine" may depend on some peoples opinion, and other water parameter factors.
As an example.
Many people consider nitrate levels of 10pp, or even 20 ppm as fine, I do not.
To me
If your nitrate level is 10 ppm with a pH above 7, and if water is hard. those water parameters are "not" what I consider fine for oscars or other east Andean large cichlid species.

If your water is PH 7 or below, , water is soft with nitrate at 10 ppm or below, that water may be fine

The higher the pH, and the harder the water, provide a situation where the bacteria that cause HITH can thrive, add to that some elevated nitrate in the 10 ppm range, that is a soup where soft water species (those from east of the Andes are chronically effected.

Since there is essentially no way to alter tap water parameters easily. The one thing you can control, is nitrate, eliminating it with more water changes.
Since you have simple left us with "fine", (no nitrate numbers, no hardness numbers) it will be impossible to to accurately answer without sounding a bit harsh.

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
The term "fine" when it comes to water parameters, is a bit too vague, because "fine" may depend on some peoples opinion, and other water parameter factors.
As an example.
Many people consider nitrate levels of 10pp, or even 20 ppm as fine, I do not.
To me
If your nitrate level is 10 ppm with a pH above 7, and if water is hard. those water parameters are "not" what I consider fine for oscars or other east Andean large cichlid species.

If your water is PH 7 or below, , water is soft with nitrate at 10 ppm or below, that water may be fine

The higher the pH, and the harder the water, provide a situation where the bacteria that cause HITH can thrive, add to that some elevated nitrate in the 10 ppm range, that is a soup where soft water species (those from east of the Andes are chronically effected.

Since there is essentially no way to alter tap water parameters easily. The one thing you can control, is nitrate, eliminating it with more water changes.
Since you have simple left us with "fine", (no nitrate numbers, no hardness numbers) it will be impossible to to accurately answer without sounding a bit harsh.
Thank you for this, really informative, I was unaware of the combo of PH and hardness compounding any negative effects of nitrates.

I live in Dubai and our water is hard, can't test right now as I'm at work but will test when I get home, my nitrates peak at around 30/40ppm before water changes as my tank is quite heavily stocked.

I have been toying with the idea of removing some of the stock and this has just pushed me to make my mind up, will be rehousing 2 our of the 3 oscars at the weekend and also 2 out of the 3 peacock bass to hopefully reduce the bio load and make the nitrates more manageble.

Thanks for all the help everyone, learning as I go :

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store