Massivore and Pleco’s 101

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is exactly what i have experienced with bith commons and gibbiceps. The larger they get the more carnivorous they become. My large gibbis thats over 1.5' eats nothing else then what i serve my large predators.
I have seen the same time & time again, even with large older Panaque nigrolineatus. They would almost fight to the death over the carnivorous food, ignoring all forms of plant matter, or herbivorous based pellets/wafers. This of course doesn't mean that the fish knows best, they clearly don't and with a feast or famine DNA code going back hundreds of years, most fish in captivity will eat themselves to death if given the opportunity. But it does tend to demonstrate what these fish prefer as they mature, if given the choice.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have seen the same time & time again, even with large older Panaque nigrolineatus. They would almost fight to the death over the carnivorous food, ignoring all forms of plant matter, or herbivorous based pellets/wafers. This of course doesn't mean that the fish knows best, they clearly don't and with a feast or famine DNA code going back hundreds of years, most fish in captivity will eat themselves to death if given the opportunity. But it does tend to demonstrate what these fish prefer as they mature, if given the choice.
That is so true. As for now my panque feasts on the wood in the tank with treats as sweetpotatoes and greenpeas. Not that big yet. Prob about 25cm so still a youngster. But im a little torn on what species it is. It looks like an L191 but is more bulkier and has yellowish/creamcolored seams wich is a trait for panaque titan l418.

Reactions: tlindsey

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Heck, we humans don't know what's best. We prefer twinkies over healthy foods.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Ive got an old clown plec. Used to always just be happy rasping at wood. Now he fights my blue acaras for their cichlid pellets and bloodworms(frozen). Here he is. All 3-4 inches of him lol20190704_145606.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store