Mata Mata eggs

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
My female Mata Mata left me an early Christmas present last night (12/24/2018)! I got eggs!
https://m.facebook.com/groups/897885506926126?view=permalink&id=2246841512030512
They are in a DIY incubator: 10g aquarium with 2-3" of water. I put up turned flower pots with light difuser on top of them. A piece of glass was placed on top of the aquarium to maintain high hunidity.

The eggs are placed inside deli cups, 2 per cup to isolate in the event something goes wrong. They are burried a lmost halfway in moist zand peat moss. 2/3 sand 1/3 peat. Then I placed moist sphagnum moss around the eggs only exposing the very top of the egg. Temperature is set at 84°f I will check for fertility in a week and signs of life in a month. Probably sooner...lol

Mom laid in the water, but I was able to recover them very quickly, I was doing aquarium maintenance when she laid. I didn't think she would lay so quickly or that she bred. Either way, I am excited!

She is a recent import , I purchased her as a 1.1 pair (17" male. 20" female), and added her to a very long rerm captive male i already had (12" male 7yo). I can only assume she bred before she was captured. As she has been pretty aggressive towards the males.

Hopefully I will be able to post good news in the near future! There are not many documented accounts of successful incubation, so I am using this as a learning experience.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My female Mata Mata left me an early Christmas present last night (12/24/2018)! I got eggs!
https://m.facebook.com/groups/897885506926126?view=permalink&id=2246841512030512
They are in a DIY incubator: 10g aquarium with 2-3" of water. I put up turned flower pots with light difuser on top of them. A piece of glass was placed on top of the aquarium to maintain high hunidity.

The eggs are placed inside deli cups, 2 per cup to isolate in the event something goes wrong. They are burried a lmost halfway in moist zand peat moss. 2/3 sand 1/3 peat. Then I placed moist sphagnum moss around the eggs only exposing the very top of the egg. Temperature is set at 84°f I will check for fertility in a week and signs of life in a month. Probably sooner...lol

Mom laid in the water, but I was able to recover them very quickly, I was doing aquarium maintenance when she laid. I didn't think she would lay so quickly or that she bred. Either way, I am excited!

She is a recent import , I purchased her as a 1.1 pair (17" male. 20" female), and added her to a very long rerm captive male i already had (12" male 7yo). I can only assume she bred before she was captured. As she has been pretty aggressive towards the males.

Hopefully I will be able to post good news in the near future! There are not many documented accounts of successful incubation, so I am using this as a learning experience.

Congrats that is awesome!!! :grinno: Has anyone else ever had Mata Mata breed in the home?

Reactions: cwindless

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome,I don't recall ever hearing of any captive breedings of matas.How many eggs did she lay?

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Great achievement!! My young Mata applauds you!! Pics would awesome!! I know that Matas have been bred in captivity but not often by hobbyists and not often at all!!

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
Thanks guys!

Breeding is pretty common, the hard part is incubating to term and successful hatching.

Based on research I have done and with the help of others. I am trying my luck to see what happens.

So far I have 7 eggs, I put her in a nesting box over night, I will check in a few minutes to see if she deposited anymore.

Reactions: tlindsey

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Very suprised she layed her eggs in the water!! Did you have a sandy area she could access??

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
Chefken Chefken I didn't have one set up, she was pretty aggressive with the males and I palpated her as soon as I got her. So I didn't think she bred.

Building an appropriately sized nest box and ramp was my plans in the up coming months. But she fooled me.

I know now, i need to build it very soon. In the event they breed again.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT

200 day incubation period!! Not sure how long until you can tell if live is within....the egg shells are brittle like chcken eggs right?? candle them?

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
The begin to "chalk" a white spot where all the Calcium forms... where the embryo is developing, like other turtles. I'm giving it a week, then I will check for the spot.

I am assuming it would yake close to a month to see veins or a spot where the embryo is by candling. So for now, i'm just going to be patient and wait to see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store