matching sub pump and overflow

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
I have a eheim 900 gph submersible pump that I am to use in a wet dry/sump I will be building. THe problem is the overflow that I already have is only rated at 600 gph.. I have a ball valve and everything is in place. I have already used it on a marineland tidepool sump and obviously when i crank up the pump it empties the sump in about 30 seconds or less even with the overflow flowing. I have a ball valve coming right off the pump and when I restrict the flow I can match the speeds.

My question is: I would think restricting the flow of the pump would cause back pressure or something and be bad for the pump.. But then I think why would they make ball valves if you can't use them.. Please someone give me some advice.. Thanks everybody..

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Restricting the out flow of a water pump will be fine as long as it is flowing at least 50% of what it is able to do. Restricting the intake side of a water pump often causes damage to the pump. Sounds like you are fine.....Joel

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
as long as there is a supply of water to the pump, restricting it shouldnt be a problem. If there wasnt enough flow and it caused the pump to cavitate, that would be bad. I have to restrict mine, and so far so good:)

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Hey rally whats the difference in the two.. like mine is a 900 gph pump but a 600 gph overflow even though I don't think it really is 600. I feel like I have to turn the ball valve at least half way to match it up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store