Max body depth of longnose gar prey?

saint_abyssal

Feeder Fish
Jun 15, 2019
I want to have a pond excavated to be stocked with black crappie I can fish for. Problem is that black crappie in smallish (my goal size is 5 acres) bodies of water have a tendency to reproduce until they consume all its resources and then become too stunted to eat. Small bodies of water housing successful crappie fisheries need to be predator heavy to keep the crappie populations in check so there's enough resources to grow edible fish. My thinking is: what better way to be predator-heavy than to stock some heavy predators? Specifically, I'm considering longnose gar.

I've done some poking through The Literature(TM) trying to figure out if longnose gar would even be an effective predator of black crappie in the first place. I learned that the average prey length of an adult longnose gar is 4 inches up to a maximum of about nine. I also learned that they consume some deep-bodied prey like blue gill. What I haven't figured out yet is whether or not a big longnose gar has sufficient jaw gape to consume crappies in that size range given how deep-bodied they are. Luckily I know many of you have kept longnose gar and maybe could provide some insight on whether or not they can take medium-large deep bodied prey. Can they?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
LNG can't eat a large crappie. You'd be better with gators for your pond if they're native where you are. Consider bass and blue cats if they're native for your area as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store