Max Stocking advise for New setup for 124.7 US gallon 5' feet tank

suresh2989

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Friends,

I recently finished building my own tank and stand and I have always wanted to keep CA cichlids and Planning to buy 1 V.Syn, 1 V.Argentea and 1 Midas all as very similar sized juvies, can this be done ? will they outgrow my tank size ?

Tank size:

Width: 60"
Height: 20"
Depth: 24"
Volume: 125 gallon.

Thanks for all the advise!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Hi Friends,

I recently finished building my own tank and stand and I have always wanted to keep CA cichlids and Planning to buy 1 V.Syn, 1 V.Argentea and 1 Midas all as very similar sized juvies, can this be done ? will they outgrow my tank size ?

Tank size:

Width: 60"
Height: 20"
Depth: 24"
Volume: 125 gallon.

Thanks for all the advise!
I would only choose one of those as your main fish.

they get aggressive once they reach maturity. I had an 8 inch v. Syns kill a 10 inch pleco, ripped his stomach open.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

they get aggressive once they reach maturity. I had an 8 inch v. Syns kill a 10 inch pleco, ripped his stomach open.
I agree.
You can grow them out as juvies, but as adults, that size tank is a bit small for more than 1 (or a mated compatible pair).
And by the time they all hit 7-8", whichever is the most alpha, will take out the others.
I find argentea are the most aggressive of the 3 (especially if you end up with a male).
Even in nature argentea are loners (except at breeding time).
Don't get me wrong, argentea are great cichlids (one of my favorite species to keep)
but not in a cichlid community, unless the tank is around 300 gallons
1660337272072.png

suresh2989

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I agree.
You can grow them out as juvies, but as adults, that size tank is a bit small for more than 1 (or a mated compatible pair).
And by the time they all hit 7-8", whichever is the most alpha, will take out the others.
I find argentea are the most aggressive of the 3 (especially if you end up with a male).
Even in nature argentea are loners (except at breeding time).
Don't get me wrong, argentea are great cichlids (one of my favorite species to keep)
but not in a cichlid community, unless the tank is around 300 gallons
View attachment 1501001
Not what I wanted to hear, any idea what I can have in my 5 footer along with a single Vieja Synspillum then ?

suresh2989

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Any suggestions as a tank mate for a single V. Syns then ? I am okay with the fact that I’m not going to have 3 big cichlids but don’t want to have a just a lonely cichlids there too .

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
With any big aggressive cichlid...in that small of a tank...the odds are good that you are eventually ending up with just the single cichlid, and he won't care whether or not you like it.

Don't listen to people who tell you about how well the fish they bought last week are getting along; those usually turn out to be juveniles, who will soon mature and begin acting the way mature cichlids act. Sure, there are exceptions, but for each exception there are many failures; you can't count on being one of the lucky ones. Trying to keep big nasties together in tight quarters is something that should be attempted only when you have alternative housing set-up and ready to deal with the almost-inevitable disasters. It's not a great plan for an "only" aquarium.

Even compatible, mated pairs can get along fine for a long time...and then one day somebody snaps. If you're lucky, you're there to save the victim and have somewhere to put it. If not...:(

suresh2989

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
With any big aggressive cichlid...in that small of a tank...the odds are good that you are eventually ending up with just the single cichlid, and he won't care whether or not you like it.

Don't listen to people who tell you about how well the fish they bought last week are getting along; those usually turn out to be juveniles, who will soon mature and begin acting the way mature cichlids act. Sure, there are exceptions, but for each exception there are many failures; you can't count on being one of the lucky ones. Trying to keep big nasties together in tight quarters is something that should be attempted only when you have alternative housing set-up and ready to deal with the almost-inevitable disasters. It's not a great plan for an "only" aquarium.

Even compatible, mated pairs can get along fine for a long time...and then one day somebody snaps. If you're lucky, you're there to save the victim and have somewhere to put it. If not...:(
It’s looking more like not possible to have any CA cichlids for me only because I don’t want to have a lonely fish but no fish can match the personality of some of the CA cichlids, feeling sad but that’s the reality I might never get a place as big to have a big tank to house CA cichlids

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not what I wanted to hear, any idea what I can have in my 5 footer along with a single Vieja Synspillum then ?
I would grow out a few juvie Vieja, and allow them to choose another of the same species tank mate.
As far as other species of fish, my choice would not be other cichlids, but geographically correct dithers, like Astayanax (or other) tetras, or large sail fin mollies.
Thaese non-cichlids would act as dithers to help the Vieja feel comfortable (as they do in nature).
V melanurus (formerly synspillum) are not really predatory (piscivores), so if tank mates were not an easy to catch protein snack (not small enough to easily eat) they could work,
Non-cichlid dithers are even a possibility with argentea (mas o menos) because they are not often considered competitors the way other cichlids are.
Although there are no Vieja in the video below, it was taken in the same area of southern Mexico V melanura live, and represent the common dither fish cichlids share habitat with there. And that in a large area you may only find 1 or 2 cichlid species (not varied communities like like in Africa or S America).
027 zps4b102ffd
Azul imovie edit
In nature you "hardly" ever find 2 of the same (or similar genera) genus together because of the competition for similar resources.
But aquarists often tend toward keeping similar shaped, or looking fish together because of human visual preferences, and when the cichlids are juvies this practice works for a while, (they see safety in numbers) but at maturity its like a switch is flipped and the smaller the tank, the worse the reaction.
In your size tank, if you want more than one species of cichlid, choosing very different looking species often works.
Since you seem to like the Vieja look, something like Oscura heterocpilla, combined with a more elongate, cichlid like a Rheoheros lentaginosus below
1660401345311.png
or different shaped mouth type like those of the genus Thorichthys might work.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store