mbu cohab with pea puffers

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Mbu will probably get big enough to eat them honestly. I don't think it would work from that aspect.

Reactions: tlindsey

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Mbu like hard ph 7+, and pea puffers like it soft 6-. Mbu are also large, dirty and predatory, while pea puffers need plant cover (never kept either.) Even if the mbu doesn't eat the peas, it would be needlessly difficult to care for them together. Just set up a 5-12g tank for pea puffers, it'll be easier and healthier for them.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Am I the only one that thinks this would work out? The mbu full grown will get to about 2 foot while the pea puffer will only get to 1 inch.... Do yall really think the mbu will spend the energy to get such little food out of it?
Come on, if you expend more calories then you get then it's not worth your time. It's common sense.

I think it would be rather easy to care for both of the puffers in the same tank. Being as these are captive bred fish (I assume) they will be able to adapt to a wide arrange of water parameters if I'm correct. Now that we have that out of the way I can get onto the topic of housing. I'd get about half or maybe a fourth of the tank heavily planted then zip tie a tube into the tank going into the plants or just above it. Feed the mbu puffer then drop the food down the tube for the pea puffers.

Anybody see any flaws in my thinking?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I believe both species are wild caught, at least the mbu will definitely be. Peas probably are as well. And while your idea may work it'll take a long time for the puffer to get that big..

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I had thought I read an article about mbu puffers being commercially bred somewhere but I may have been wrong. But anyway, how rare are full grown mbu puffers anyway? I think a full grown one would at least pull a grand, maybe two or more.

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Just wondering has anyone tried it and will it work since mbus are not aggressive?
This wouldn't work. In addition to needing very different water parameters, most notable pH and gH, the Travancoricus would bite the Mbu's fins. You should probably start off with a group of 6 Travancoricus in a 29 gallon or so.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store