MBU first time buyer

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have not been a stranger to large fish for a good while now and with everything big loved I gotta say an MBU has been on my list of really want to have for about 5 or so years easily. Dont worry I can house the fish just fine. He will be a small fish honestly. To small to start with and lots of worry and stress because everything else is big and bigger and huge and aggressive eating. Dont get me wrong I can baby a fish like my 3 inch fire eel that is now almost 30 inches but it takes more work than throwing it in with the horde or other horde. I found an mbu local and it seems in good health and everything that I can tell from an owner who loves these guys like they should be. Owner says he has owned the mbu for about 2 years and the fish is only about 7 to 8 inches long. I heard they grow to a foot in a year or a little more. I honestly expected a little more growth and size from a fish kept that long that gets really big. Said kept in a 220 gallon tank which is plenty large but I also dont know full history of a grow out before that or what. Said its been feeding on shrimp main diet with snails and clams as well. Just asking to see if I can find out any input from knowledgeable people. Thanks and dont ask Justin for his input. Wife and him are wanting me to buy it already and stop thinking about it. I just want to double check myself on everything.

20200608_215549.jpg

20200608_215637.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I have not been a stranger to large fish for a good while now and with everything big loved I gotta say an MBU has been on my list of really want to have for about 5 or so years easily. Dont worry I can house the fish just fine. He will be a small fish honestly. To small to start with and lots of worry and stress because everything else is big and bigger and huge and aggressive eating. Dont get me wrong I can baby a fish like my 3 inch fire eel that is now almost 30 inches but it takes more work than throwing it in with the horde or other horde. I found an mbu local and it seems in good health and everything that I can tell from an owner who loves these guys like they should be. Owner says he has owned the mbu for about 2 years and the fish is only about 7 to 8 inches long. I heard they grow to a foot in a year or a little more. I honestly expected a little more growth and size from a fish kept that long that gets really big. Said kept in a 220 gallon tank which is plenty large but I also dont know full history of a grow out before that or what. Said its been feeding on shrimp main diet with snails and clams as well. Just asking to see if I can find out any input from knowledgeable people. Thanks and dont ask Justin for his input. Wife and him are wanting me to buy it already and stop thinking about it. I just want to double check myself on everything.

View attachment 1421100

View attachment 1421101
Lol love the second pic and that derpy smile. Wish I could help with info but I'm definitely not an expert on puffers. Hopefully someone a lil more experienced chimes in and helps out.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
That does seem very slow. However, mbus are like turtles- crapping machines, and if his water was bad, he maybe stunted a bit. Great wet pet, you won’t be disappointed. Just don’t put him with “lazy” fish like bichirs, that beak can kill quick!!!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hmmmm... the size of the fish makes me suspicious as to the health of the fish...

doesnt seem at all normal that a fish such as an MBU would only be 7-8” after being kept in a 220 for 2yrs or more... i would expect at minimum for it to be 14”+ in that time frame...

With that said, it could have also been kept in horrible conditions before reaching the current seller also causing the lack of growth? But personally, i would have expected a bigger fish and not sure if it will ever reach its full potential given its current size even if kept in optimal conditions...

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hmmmm... the size of the fish makes me suspicious as to the health of the fish...

doesnt seem at all normal that a fish such as an MBU would only be 7-8” after being kept in a 220 for 2yrs or more... i would expect at minimum for it to be 14”+ in that time frame...

With that said, it could have also been kept in horrible conditions before reaching the current seller also causing the lack of growth? But personally, i would have expected a bigger fish and not sure if it will ever reach its full potential given its current size even if kept in optimal conditions...
I thought it odd too. But I don't know enough about their growth to know that for sure.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Thanks and ya that's a little bit if my worry. Fine with keeping it forever but of course want to see its growth continue and boom. I do understand many people dont feel them a ton of food and certain ones I'm sure will be pickier than others like I've seen with stingrays. Just want a good fish to grow big and enjoy. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I think the biggest thing is I want to see the fish get to it's full potential. Nothing like having a fish that is never gotten or dies before it gets to full potential. If something is wrong with the fish especially one that is gotten to be a real show piece and something you want to heavily enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store