Mbu lost his appetite ?

Robsmonsterfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2018
So I have a year old mbu puffer. 12 inches roughly in a 500litre water is perfect (checked yesterday) He's normally so active.. But over the last 3 days has complealty lost his appetite and not been his, self.. As you know there quite a character to own and has become part of the family,my daughter loves him. They remind me of under water camilions. ?.

I know after a year they don't grow as fast and he has grown at rapid rate. Eating frozen mussels clams crabs and crayfish. Some of the crabs, were live as I try to encourage natural hunting. Which he loves.. Could it be his diet..?

His poos have changed normaly like clearing up after a massive dog (twice a day he's like clock work) ?but now like pea size balls on string..could it be worms? Pimafix? my substrate is sand to make it easier to clean and less pockets of ammonia build up.. . ?? Sorry for so much info just really want him better.

Kind regards Rob

Last edited:

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
kno4te kno4te I have no idea, have you noticed any change on his body? Maybe like a scratch or a white patch?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be IP. Would suggest to test ur water parameters. Suggest dosing levamisole 1/2 dose for puffers. Would ask Fat Homer Fat Homer for mbu dosing meds still recommend 1/2 dose.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i agree with kno4te kno4te that it sounds like it could be IP’s based on the way you are describing...

White long stringy with what looks like sparsely beaded balls normally would indicate IP’s in which case dosing with some type of dewormer would be the way to go, but as mentioned above, do it at half dose and keep an eye on your puffer as they are very sensitive to meds...

you may also want to feeding de-shelled peas to try and help your puffer pass the the ips out more quickly or you could try and dose some epsom salt after a few days for similar results as it should help your puffer poo...

finally make sure to clean up the poo as quickly as possible so that its not just lingering around the tank potentially ending back up in your puffers system again...

Anyway, good luck with your puffer and hope he makes a speedy recovery! Although be patient as it can sometimes take a while to clear all the IP’s out...

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Robsmonsterfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2018
^ i agree with kno4te kno4te that it sounds like it could be IP’s based on the way you are describing...

White long stringy with what looks like sparsely beaded balls normally would indicate IP’s in which case dosing with some type of dewormer would be the way to go, but as mentioned above, do it at half dose and keep an eye on your puffer as they are very sensitive to meds...

you may also want to feeding de-shelled peas to try and help your puffer pass the the ips out more quickly or you could try and dose some epsom salt after a few days for similar results as it should help your puffer poo...

finally make sure to clean up the poo as quickly as possible so that its not just lingering around the tank potentially ending back up in your puffers system again...

Anyway, good luck with your puffer and hope he makes a speedy recovery! Although be patient as it can sometimes take a while to clear all the IP’s out...
Thanks, so much for replying still not eaten yet but will try peas today. Water is good checked yesterday but done at 25% water change just to be safe.
Noticed that's his belly seems to be twitching not seem him do this before.. Little concernd but I'm now on my way out to get some meds..

Once again thankyou so much for your time and advice. I'll keep you updated on his condition..

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
good luck with your puffer...

also forgot to ask, how often did you feed your puffer before he stopped eating and is his belly still fairly round / flat or sunken in?

coz if its not sunken in then he could just be on a bit of a hunger strike for whatever reason?

Robsmonsterfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2018
good luck with your puffer...

also forgot to ask, how often did you feed your puffer before he stopped eating and is his belly still fairly round / flat or sunken in?

coz if its not sunken in then he could just be on a bit of a hunger strike for whatever reason?
Iv done so much research on mbus. As none have been bread in captivity to record iv tried to give him the most natural home.

Looking back the only way parasites could have entered the tank is via the live crabs I put it..? I thought it could be a risk as anyrhing alien to the tank should be dipped, boiled or decontaminted.. gutted now as I have problems.

Robsmonsterfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2018
Iv done so much research on mbus. As none have been bread in captivity to record iv tried to give him the most natural home.

Looking back the only way parasites could have entered the tank is via the live crabs I put it..? I thought it could be a risk as anyrhing alien to the tank should be dipped, boiled or decontaminted.. gutted now as I have problems.
Hes still fully sized still lost no weight by looking at him.. He went from eating 4 frozen mussel a day to nothing for the last 4 days.. Tried him on clams,

prawns.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As a precaution you can deworm him to be safe and as for the parasites, honestly its always a risk as any raw foods can potentially carry parasites in them...

Robsmonsterfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2018
As a precaution you can deworm him to be safe and as for the parasites, honestly its always a risk as any raw foods can potentially carry parasites in them...
Fed him live crabs once I knew it could be a risk..
He's alot more active over the last few days had a massive poo and been eating like mad.. Although looks like he has a few white spot. Possible stress?

Been treating with Epson salts and doing water changes like made. cost a fortune but we'll worth it..i but don't want to much change with what's going on And he really dose seem his self after 5 days. Like I said poos are normal again.. Eating loads although gone off mussles and more into clams. May be bored but may be constipated?

Really appreciate all the help this site is great for that as the info online. We'll there is none.. Forums seem the way forward.. Cheers guys fat homer for the info and kno4te for the recommendation..

Any more guidance would be great I'll keep the thread going..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store