MBU Puffer owners

bandit32004

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2011
Vancouver, WA
I have been researching this fish for almost 3 years, but have found that most of the information and posts made about this fish come from folks who have never had one! What I am looking for is to hear from those of you who have, or have had one of these and your experience with this fish. These are amazing looking fish with great personalities, but if I'm going to dedicate my biggest tank to what will most likely be a single fish, I want to know as much as I can about them! So if you've had a MBU now or in the past, what are your experiences, setups, advice, etc. about these amazing puffers.

Reactions: FishBeast

dhampton114

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Odd there are no responses to this. When you search MBU on this site, there is absolutely no shortage of people with advice about Mbu's, how aggressive they are, and how you need a 1000 gallon tank minimum to keep them, but when I ask for advice from someone who has ACTUALLY kept this fish, crickets.........

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats because most people here realize they cant house them and therefore wont keep one...

The members that did have one in the past either rarely hit up these boards or dont come into the puffer section...

But as for their personalities etc, thats been well documented and with regards to tank size you can more or less work it out based off a fahakas needs and tank size then multiply it by about 3X...

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I am a fairly new keeper of mbu, I have always been fascinated by these fish, but lack of availability kept me from keeping one till now.

To begin, setup a big enough tank, and a big filter coupled with it. You can't have bad water quality with this fish.

Even nitrates above 25ppm can cause blindness in these fish, it took me almost 2 week with alternate day water changes for a week and 2kilos of zeolite added to the filter to get the mbu back to being healthy.

I got the mbu @3" now it must be 5.5" eyeballing, in may be 6 months. I have a sump filter for the tank now .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store