Mbu puffer with amazon puffers

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The puffer section back then used to be a lot more active and had its share of heated arguments among members...
I don't think I was on any forums then but I read some comical threads. There seems to be a cult amongst the old puffer folks. They have their mentors they side with and they ride that train until it goes off the cliff.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I don't think I was on any forums then but I read some comical threads. There seems to be a cult amongst the old puffer folks. They have their mentors they side with and they ride that train until it goes off the cliff.
I admit i had my moments back then when i was a lot more green and beginning to learn about puffers...

However, some of the info such as; Fahaka and MBU tank size (as mentioned previously) i would love to see in larger tanks because i personally think they would make use of the all the space and maybe allow us to see them grow slightly larger in home aquariums...

At the same time i do realize this is rather un-realistic, especially with something like fahakas that can be a bit psychotic...

-edit-

I should also note that i wouldnt force that thought on anyone either, more just a personal opinion after having kept my old fahaka in a 200G...

Last edited:

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Food wise (US) everyone I know stocks up on crawfish when they're in season and freezes them as a staple. Then supplement with worms, shrimp, etc etc. Defrost in vitachem infused tank water and toss it in. That's the cheapest solution to feeding bigger puffers imo. When little you can breed snails and marbled crawfish which is relatively cheap.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
We don't have a crawfish season up here, so it is typically mussels purchased live, then frozen, and supplemented with Vitachem a few times a week. At least that's what I did for shell workouts. A couple people that I know also had their Mbu trained to large hard pellets. To ensure the highest nutrient value, or at least the lowest thiaminase values most seafood should generally be fed within 30 days of freezing. Freezing does not stop this enzyme from breaking B1 down. Mussels generally contain thiaminase , some crayfish from certain US waters do as well. If one is supplementing with B1 at least a few times a week it shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Typically saltwater parasites cant tolerate fresh water so they die. A very effective method to treat SW fish is freshwater dip, kills marine ich, velvet, worms.

Reactions: RD.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Typically saltwater parasites cant tolerate fresh water so they die. A very effective method to treat SW fish is freshwater dip, kills marine ich, velvet, worms.
Velvet is more resistant.
I can't link the site but humblefish wrote a detailed article on velvet along with a few other experienced sw keepers. Not that you're not knowledgeable I just had to read up on it when I had an issue.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I know some treatment sessions are a little scary. Lucky ive only dealt with doing that with fish once....ich. I routinely fw dipped corals I'd buy. Usually no issuses.

Gucci

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2007
Germany
28" is close enough. When you actually see it in person thats a huge fish. But alot of different sources say up to 36". Not saying its true or that you need 1000g tank, but that combo would be sweet!
Thats the size of mine now, 3 1/2 years old and growing... saw 3' and more in public aquariums

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store