Mbu TankMates :)

Mbuloverxxt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hey guys! I recently got my 8x3x2 and I will be setting it up this weekend for my 9-10" mbu! So excited! And now I am going to start thinking about what I should stock the tank with. Does anyone have any suggestions??? :)

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Pics ?

Reactions: tlindsey

TAT2DRAGON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Selecting tank mates for an Mbu can be quite tricky. The reason I say this is to the extreme individuality of each Mbu's personality. That being said when i had mine which was over 10 years ago it took quite sometime to put in some tank mates . i made it a point to watch the way he would approach food when he was fed and how he reacted to not just me but other people who would walk up to the tank little things like that. I found him to be extremely mellow and confident.
Luckily I guessed correctly and had him sharing a 540 gallon with a group of wild very large angelfish. Scalare not Altum and it worked out fabulously. They didn't eat the same things so there was never a feeding rivalry or threat. The angels were very large and never even looked like a food source for the Mbu and they were not afraid of the Mbu in any way. It actually made for a great contrast in fish. i loved that tank. Sadly I lost them to Hurricane Wilma in 2005 but thats a whole other story.Tthe fish got along great. So i would suggest pay close attention to his attitude and personality first and foremost and take it from there. I wish you great success. they are great fish to own

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store