Menarambo and Maculatus

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
I kept a small group of Menarambo and was very impressed by them. In a way they remind me of a salt water fish. I was hoping to spawn my group but I ended up selling them. They would feed greedily on Hikari pellets and flake foods.

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
I have a lone menarambo but am looking for maybe 3 or 4 more to establish a colony. It's really hard to get hold of these fish. I'm also expecting a group (4 fish) of maculatus in the coming week. Caveman was right when he commented that they look like saltwater fish. They look like sturgeon fish to me.

Both species are very aggressive and shouldn't be kept in twos.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Sturgeon? I think you meant tangs. It is "dubbed" freshwater tangs by some collectors. I had a chance to buy a whole lot, but they were $99 each. I don't know if there is really a demand for these fish. A lot in this case is equal to five fish.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Vince, I think Anton was referring to tangs, which are also known as "surgeon fish," but he typed "sturgeon" instead. :) I concur with both of you, the emarginate caudal fins of Paretroplus are highly reminscent of tangs, IMO.

I have four Paretroplus maculatus, ranging from 4 to 8 inches in total length. I love my Paretroplus. They are very aggressive with conspecifics, but seem to be pretty peaceful to dissimilar species. Mine eat pretty much anything I put in their tanks.

I've also kept a small P. menarambo before, but it succumbed to ich. :(

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for correcting my spelling icthyophile. I meant surgeon fish, not sturgeon fish. Sorry for that Vince.

Are these fish still available? Hard to find sources for these fish. I think the only supplier is from Europe. I knew someone who was able to spawn the maculatus but the fry would just not survive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store