Mini-Monster Review: Batrochoglanis cf. raninus

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I recently acquired one of these guys, common name is the Bumble Bee Jelly catfish. Figured I’d show it off as it’s been something I’d describe as the perfect mini-redtail catfish. It’s gotten quite bold over the few weeks I’ve had it and has become one of my favorites. The biggest plus is they typically max out at 4 inches. Loads of personality so far, want to attempt breeding if I can get a larger group.
8FFE0198-B58B-4074-8088-C2335F456A5D.jpeg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Beautiful catfish
However don’t house one expecting it to stop at 4”. In my opinion you should set up expecting the potential for it to reach 8” simply because of the regional differences and variable type of this species.
Think sexing will be difficult but should be doable in mature fish and you should grow to know if you have male or female.
Some do not seem sure if you will see a difference in overall size vs sex but personally would expect males to be slightly smaller both in length and stature.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
For some reason I haven't been able to find these a lot lately. Wish I had gotten one when I had the chance.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yellowcat Yellowcat would be a good adviser for your cohabiting and breeding efforts. I read these fish would not tolerate each other in one tank but I've never had these, plus the same is said of the related apurensis catfish, while I was able to keep 4 together with minimal problems.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
No issues with eachother yet, they are behaving similar to the other SA bumble cats, piling in a flowerpot with my giraffe cat and hemidoras

I should mention I have a 3rd one coming as well that a friend had bought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store