Mixing Thorichthys

smytty3a

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
NJ
Hello everyone. New forum member. Recently retired, and getting back to fish keeping. I'm currently in the process of cycling a 135 gallon (54" by 24" by 24") freshwater tank. Can hardly wait to add fish.

I'd like to get your thoughts on mixing different types of Thorichthys. Specifically meeki and maculipinnis. I'm thinking about stocking my tank with 5 of each. I have lots of wood, rocks, hiding places and escape paths places built into the layout.

As a side note, I'm also considering the addition of 1 or two larger fish like Herichthys carpintis and/or Maskaheros argenteus. I would also consider other tankmates instead of the carpintis and argentus. Some alternatives I'd be happy with include one or two of the following...Jack Dempsey, Lago Peten Melanura, Uaru, Amphilophus lyonsi.

Would love to hear your thoughts on expected compatibility. Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone. New forum member. Recently retired, and getting back to fish keeping. I'm currently in the process of cycling a 135 gallon (54" by 24" by 24") freshwater tank. Can hardly wait to add fish.

I'd like to get your thoughts on mixing different types of Thorichthys. Specifically meeki and maculipinnis. I'm thinking about stocking my tank with 5 of each. I have lots of wood, rocks, hiding places and escape paths places built into the layout.

As a side note, I'm also considering the addition of 1 or two larger fish like Herichthys carpintis and/or Maskaheros argenteus. I would also consider other tankmates instead of the carpintis and argentus. Some alternatives I'd be happy with include one or two of the following...Jack Dempsey, Lago Peten Melanura, Uaru, Amphilophus lyonsi.

Would love to hear your thoughts on expected compatibility. Thanks!

Welcome aboard
dan518 dan518

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
Toiletcar Toiletcar

Reactions: Toiletcar

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I mix them. In nature some thorichthys species are mixed like some locations have meeki, helleri and pasionis living side by side. Some hybridization happens, but it’s rare. A lot is unknown. I have mixed meeki, pasionis and pachavali (formerly mixteco blue). Keep them in groups and not w/ aggressive tank mates.
Of all the species you listed, melanura might be good temperament wise. I have had luck in the past. I’d say away from herichthys because they are pretty aggressive though I have deppi w/ mine. They don’t seem as aggressive as say cyano.

499E29CD-AD4C-4AC5-BD70-A06B56E44BB4.jpeg

2764D7D3-06A4-404E-9366-B6EC924E66EA.jpeg

6778FA64-7E5A-4F80-9F54-2BB2348A1EA0.jpeg

49306471-1D5A-48F0-9C64-4DD661D93605.jpeg

FBE973B3-D838-4AA9-80A8-4517ABC503DA.jpeg

35A7C62E-4BDB-4ECC-94D2-061AA97BE080.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thorichthys are great, shoaling cichlid community species, but carpintus and argentea are not so community minded, their scale of aggression cannot be matched by any Thorichthys, and can quickly snap and kill all other cichlids in a tank (especially the males) as they reach maturity
If it were me, I would add geographically correct live bearers, or Astyanax tetras to a Thorichthys tank as tank mates.
I have kept all 3 you mention, and to me, argentea and carpintus are loners that are best in their own separate tanks, unless the tanks are 300 gallons or more.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think your idea of mixing thoricthys would be fine, although the maculipinnis tend to be a little more aggressive, the 135 gallon tank should be large enough to let meeki escape if need be. But, I agree with duanes duanes that adding a large aggressive powerhouse like an Argentea will not work well long term, you will eventually have a happy argentea and some beaten-up thoricthys. Melanura are less aggressive but get so large, that a 135 with an adult melanura, and then groups of both Maculippinnis and meeki, would be very heavily stocked.
Perhaps a Jack Dempsey could work, it would be trial and error, the jack may bully the thoricthys when it gets large. Or, it may be too lazy to bother. Have another tank on hand and you can give it a shot, just be prepared to remove him if need be.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Agree with what others have said, for a larger fish to add i would recommend Oscura Heterospila.
I was curious if O. heterospila would work here, given that they're usually reported to be more mild-mannered but would give you a nice pop of color and contrast to the Thorichthys

I definitely wouldn't mix in most SA like Uaru because their temperature and parameter requirements would make a lot of them unsuitable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store