Modding a stock type stand

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
View attachment 1369166View attachment 1369167View attachment 1369168View attachment 1369169

Here are some pictures I just took of it. The 55 sits directly on the floor and I just measured the clearance from the top of the 55 to the bottom of the 220 and it’s exactly 15”.

I had to put the sump in before I put the tank on top. It doesn’t fit in any other way.
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Now the hard part finding straight wood.

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Just my 2 opinion thou. I would not mess with the top part of the stand but just add 4x4s on the bottom of stand so it’s a pedestal. The reason is that the tank sits inside the stands supporting framing wood and you have the wrap around molding of the stand. If you do go this route I would sandwich the 2 sections together to make it more sturdy or at less screw them together.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Just my 2 opinion thou. I would not mess with the top part of the stand but just add 4x4s on the bottom of stand so it’s a pedestal. The reason is that the tank sits inside the stands supporting framing wood and you have the wrap around molding of the stand. If you do go this route I would sandwich the 2 sections together to make it more sturdy or at less screw them together.
These stands aren't like that. It actually sits on the molding you see in the pic. I really don't know how these stands get approval. You have 2k lbs resting wood with basically no vertical supports. It's only supports are the fasteners from the vertical pieces inside and half of the notched 4x1 planks. Pretty scary

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
These stands aren't like that. It actually sits on the molding you see in the pic. I really don't know how these stands get approval. You have 2k lbs resting wood with basically no vertical supports. It's only supports are the fasteners from the vertical pieces inside and half of the notched 4x1 planks. Pretty scary
They don’t even use screws or nails. These stands are literally stapled together.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
My Q is what heigh you need to achieve?
My way is just building a pedestal and use the stand the way it was designed. My 180 stand are exactly like fish tank travis’s Which I have a molding that covers the tanks bottom brace

With Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis ( post #10 pics) way you have to support the outside of the stand’s molding since the top he added another 4x4 to achieve the 7” height. The tank now resting on that 4x4 to the molding and not the framing of the stand. Hope I explain it correctly.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
My Q is what heigh you need to achieve?
My way is just building a pedestal and use the stand the way it was designed. My 180 stand are exactly like fish tank travis’s Which I have a molding that covers the tanks bottom brace

With Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis ( post #10 pics) way you have to support the outside of the stand’s molding since the top he added another 4x4 to achieve the 7” height. The tank now resting on that 4x4 to the molding and not the framing of the stand. Hope I explain it correctly.
Your way will work as well. Imo it needs more vert support period. It's just 2 different ways of achieving the same thing. I need roughly another 6-8". I haven't quite decided on how much water to run in the sump. It's a catch 22 if I maximize my water level then I can't access the skim cup without having to pull the skimmer off the riser that will keep it at its operating height.

I appreciate your input. Your idea allows for easier access to the top of the sump through the cabinets doors.

I still don't like not being able to pull the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store