Monster or oddball fish for planted 75g?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
I know there's another recent thread asking for 75g stocking suggestions but my situation is different. I'm getting a 75 gallon tank next week. It was supposed to be an upgrade for my Lake Malawi haps and peacocks who are currently in a 55g, but the 75g (killer craigslist find) is a pretty high-tech planted tank setup (just equipment and substrate, no plants or livestock). Seems like it'd be a waste to just put fish and rocks in there, so I think I'm going to do a planted tank instead.

What's the most "monstrous" fish I could put in a 75g that would be compatible with plants? I'm interested in exodons but don't think I want to dedicate this tank to them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know there's another recent thread asking for 75g stocking suggestions but my situation is different. I'm getting a 75 gallon tank next week. It was supposed to be an upgrade for my Lake Malawi haps and peacocks who are currently in a 55g, but the 75g (killer craigslist find) is a pretty high-tech planted tank setup (just equipment and substrate, no plants or livestock). Seems like it'd be a waste to just put fish and rocks in there, so I think I'm going to do a planted tank instead.

What's the most "monstrous" fish I could put in a 75g that would be compatible with plants? I'm interested in exodons but don't think I want to dedicate this tank to them.
Exodons would require an aquarium for them only.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Cichlids tend to be diggers, so dont do well in planted tank. Well I should say that they well do well, but your plants probably won't. Anything that needs to root in substrate gets dug up at one point or another. Now there has been success with plants that root onto rocks,branches what have you. Still no guarantee that the fish won't just rip the leaves off either. There has been success by putting the plant in a small glass vase, that way the fish can't get to the plants roots. Still again no guarantee that the leaves won't get shredded.
I bought a giant mother plant Amazonian sword thinking that the Oscar couldn't hurt it.....I was wrong. Over a month and a half she ripped every single leaf off of it.20180606_173539.jpg

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Maybe some sort of pike livebearer?

Reactions: Seedy J

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have very good success with Jack Dempseys and Honduran red points in a planted tank...also I am planning a planted angelfish tank...not sure if those are options yours interested in.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My HRP's like Niki_up Niki_up left plants alone, even substrate rooting ones. Only time they messed with them was when they breed near a plant and chewed off a leaf that was in thier way.

Reactions: Niki_up

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
There are actually a lot of cichlids that will do just fine with plants IMO. Are you planning on keeping your haps or getting rid of them?

Just large central americans (and a few of the SA like Oscars) can have problems for the reason jexnell mentioned

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
There are actually a lot of cichlids that will do just fine with plants IMO. Are you planning on keeping your haps or getting rid of them?
Which cichlids have you had luck with plants Gourami? I know I have not found many Africans that will leave live plants alone. My Mbuna, haps, and trophs shred them in a matter of days. Haven't tried them with many SA/CA yet though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store