Most coveted/desired Peacock Bass?

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
i think what matters more is how much you're willing to spend or how much you have to spend?

also what you consider most desirable to you. I'd say if you've never kept pbass before, test the water first. buy a mixture. if you want 10+, mix them up with monos, tems and orinos. if you have more money at your disposal buy pinimas, azuls and kelberies.

from the ones i've kept, they seem to all pretty much act the same. they are aggressive eaters, they get along better in groups of 4 or more, if you pair them or have 3, one will gain dominance over the other and one will end up being miserable. cichla are good fish to keep if you're into that type. i recommend it but try them out.

i wouldn't recommend commiting to one type and buy 10-15 of them. have several types, grow them out a bit, then if you want to commit to one, you'll get a feel of which one you prefer

just my two pennies

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Also good to have variety in your tank. Its makes for a nice display and show. Some of the nicest pbass tank setups are people on mfk with different species of peacock bass mix.

Watersprite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
I have never kept Peacock Bass before but I am a Fisheries major and I have been working in the Mussel Barn at NC State University Veterinary College. We use Largemouth Bass to infest with certain species of Mussel glochidia. So I have had some experience with Bass behavior and upkeep.
As a Fisheries major, keeping a rare or endangered species would be like going to a tree hugger convention wearing a mink. They would skin me alive. SO no rare species for me. I am just looking for the most attractive species as an adult.
I agree that a combination of species would be nice. I am pretty sure I like the Orino's and Azul's but I am not familiar with several of the other species suggested.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
I say you should go with some Orinos and Peru Monos..they are my favorite.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Watersprite;4270544;4270544 said:
I have never kept Peacock Bass before but I am a Fisheries major and I have been working in the Mussel Barn at NC State University Veterinary College. We use Largemouth Bass to infest with certain species of Mussel glochidia. So I have had some experience with Bass behavior and upkeep.
As a Fisheries major, keeping a rare or endangered species would be like going to a tree hugger convention wearing a mink. They would skin me alive. SO no rare species for me. I am just looking for the most attractive species as an adult.
I agree that a combination of species would be nice. I am pretty sure I like the Orino's and Azul's but I am not familiar with several of the other species suggested.
when we say "rare" in terms of cichla, it doesnt mean that theyre endangered. it just means that theyre rare in the hobby and not seen in captivity since they havent been exported to the states. if they become endangered at all, it will be because people in south america have eaten too many of them! this is a popular source of food down there

fishysocks2012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
San Antonio
gacericardo;4269363; said:
^^^ umm what?
ten PBass in a 300 gallon is 30 gallons per fish, which in my opinion is too small for a fish that gets this large. But then again it doesnt mean im right.

Watersprite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
fishysocks2012;4270702; said:
ten PBass in a 300 gallon is 30 gallons per fish, which in my opinion is too small for a fish that gets this large. But then again it doesnt mean im right.
It is too many for that volume of water. But I would be purchasing juvies and they don't get to be 15" overnight.

Reactions: dr exum

OB-G37S

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
In the Ocean
kelberis and azuls :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store