Most outgoing catfish

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
What species, in your experience, are the most outgoing and personal catfish?

IME the ones I have kept (or currently have) who were out and about and/or personable were:

Corys (obviously)
Mystus bimaculatus
Pictus catfish
Dwarf Giraffe cat, Notoglanidium macrostoma (he still new, so not super out going yet, but I can tell he is getting there)
Bullheads

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
For what I've kept: Corys, asian bumblebee catfish (2nd most personable fish I've ever owned), and while he's still new he's already moderately friendly to the point of handfeeding: yellow bullhead.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Giraffe nose hands down. Mine lets me pet him during water changes and comes to the surface at feeding time and lets me drop pellets right into his mouth sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
Agree with giraffe nose catfish, very outgoing as it will follow my hand. RTC, TSN x RTC ime are also very outgoing too.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Giraffe nose hands down. Mine lets me pet him during water changes and comes to the surface at feeding time and lets me drop pellets right into his mouth sometimes.

Same with my old RTC he used to sit with his mouth out of water and wait for me to drop massivore in his mouth or tilapia lol he also used to come from across the tank and rub against my hand when I stuck my hand in flat. And also when I was gone for one weekend he wouldent eat when someone else fed him and he wouldent interact with them. He even grabbed my brothers hand when he tried to pet him and shook his head side to side. He really only liked me and he knew who his care giver/ owner really was . Another thing too when I had to transport him he let me lift him right out of the water without a fight I just cradled my hands he swam right in and I lifted and moved him no problem. He really was a true water dog/wet pet.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Isn't 24" a much more usual max size in captivity, even for the big species? Of course it's further complicated by the fact that I believe there are a couple almost identical Giraffe Cat species, some of which only get like 18"...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store