Moving a pregnant ray

wmkr

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
m'sia
Hi to all,

I have 2 tank... all my rays are in a wider tank... my question is that how safe is it to transfer a pregnant fm out from the wider tank to another tank.

The rays are in a FGT size 6x4x3 and my other tank is 6x2.5x2.5

will the pregnant female be stress after the transfer

thanks in advance

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi to all,

I have 2 tank... all my rays are in a wider tank... my question is that how safe is it to transfer a pregnant fm out from the wider tank to another tank.

The rays are in a FGT size 6x4x3 and my other tank is 6x2.5x2.5

will the pregnant female be stress after the transfer

thanks in advance

Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid
Bigfishnut Bigfishnut

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Do you have to move her?

With regular rays I'll use a giant rubber net pick them up and walk to the new tank and plop them in. This works for me because all of my water values on tanks are nearly identical.

With pregnant females I never try to stress them. If you must move her I would drain the tank, then get her to swim inside of a big rubbermaid tote with enough water to cover her back. Lift with a friend or herculean strength out of the tank, then acclimate to the new tank. This way she is never exposed to air.

If the tanks are close enough and have similar water chemistry I've used large rubber nets and just scooped them up and walked them to the new tank and plopped them in as quickly as possible. But some rays really stress when removed from the water so that is something to consider.

#1 = don't get stung

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Do you have to move her?

With regular rays I'll use a giant rubber net pick them up and walk to the new tank and plop them in. This works for me because all of my water values on tanks are nearly identical.

With pregnant females I never try to stress them. If you must move her I would drain the tank, then get her to swim inside of a big rubbermaid tote with enough water to cover her back. Lift with a friend or herculean strength out of the tank, then acclimate to the new tank. This way she is never exposed to air.

If the tanks are close enough and have similar water chemistry I've used large rubber nets and just scooped them up and walked them to the new tank and plopped them in as quickly as possible. But some rays really stress when removed from the water so that is something to consider.

#1 = don't get stung
This is spot on. However like it was said, do you need to move her? I've moved pregnant females 2 times in the last year just to a different tank all in the same system of water to try to minimize stress from the males... Each time they lost the pups. Too much risk involved moving girls. Better off moving the boys if you can. On the flip side I have heard of people packaging and shipping pregnant females via air cargo and the female made the trip and had her litter successfully. It's all luck imo.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

wmkr

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
m'sia
This is spot on. However like it was said, do you need to move her? I've moved pregnant females 2 times in the last year just to a different tank all in the same system of water to try to minimize stress from the males... Each time they lost the pups. Too much risk involved moving girls. Better off moving the boys if you can. On the flip side I have heard of people packaging and shipping pregnant females via air cargo and the female made the trip and had her litter successfully. It's all luck imo.

Noted.. will move the male then

Reactions: SHARK13

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I’ve moved them with a big net without incident as long as not too far along. No harm in moving male either.

I sold a pair of breeder marbles which were driven about 4 hours and she gave birth a few weeks later. Just be careful whatever you choose.

wmkr

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
m'sia
thks guys will monitor first them.. if need to only will transfer the male

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
A friend of mine recently purchased a mature female, two days after she was brought home she passed 4 large semi developed eggs/fetus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store