Moving giant piraiba catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Document it. Successful or not, report it, please, so we all learn and grow in our beloved hobby together.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Its my private stocked reservoir. With arapaima, gars and other large species of fish. It's disconnected from major water ways. So no worries there. But I wanted to move this guy for a while but have been reluctant due to the fact that they die easily.
I. Demand. Pics.
That's legitimately awesome. For that I'm going to follow you.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I've moved 30" piraiba before. Sold if off to a customer & it's 5-6 hours drive. In transport, they need large space to swim & good aeration. I think i use either 7x3x3 or 6x3x3 size tank. All need to be quick, once netted I run to the transport tank & release it immediately. It'll bang the tank wall but it'll calm after while. The fish still lives in his new home til now.

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
I've moved 30" piraiba before. Sold if off to a customer & it's 5-6 hours drive. In transport, they need large space to swim & good aeration. I think i use either 7x3x3 or 6x3x3 size tank. All need to be quick, once netted I run to the transport tank & release it immediately. It'll bang the tank wall but it'll calm after while. The fish still lives in his new home til now.
Will take that into account thanks for the tip!!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Epic, epic stuff! Please report on all happenings with your lake-o'-monsters as much as you can, so we all learn with you and from you. Great, great effort! I had no idea. Do you have a thread on your stocked lake?

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
I don't have a thread lol. I'm quite new to this style of communication. But I can create a thread about ponds stocked with monster fish :). I'll try to share as much as I know!!! I'm genuinely excited to see the sharing of knowledge and ideas!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store