Moving pacu

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
I need to catch and move 3 pacu. They are 10+ years old, about 25" long. They are going temporarily into a swimming pool in the back yard while I do some major work (resealing seams) on their tank.

A large tupperware will be too heavy to lift full of water, but if I drill holes in it to hold only a few inches I could lift that and run it out to the pool.

A fishing net will tear up their fins and make them so violent I fear that not only would I get hurt, they might break the glass of the tank.

A laundry basket would lift out of the tank easy, but it just doesn't seem like a good plan.

A pillow case might be a good alternative to a fishing net, and easier to control the flopping of a pissed off 20+ lb pacu.

How do you catch and move fish this big and powerful?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Seen it done with pillow cases and low water levels.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Go on YouTube and look up predatory fins moving giant pacu video. He uses a moving blanket with low water. You might be able to slip it under them and scoop them up, and just let water seep out the sides. Just wear a bathing suit lol.

Reactions: tlindsey

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Go on YouTube and look up predatory fins moving giant pacu video. He uses a moving blanket with low water.
Found it! He used a matress mover. Very helpful. Thank you.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Found it! He used a matress mover. Very helpful. Thank you.
Np. I (and many others) would greatly appreciate it if you are able to document this process and post about it. I love pacu, probably one of my fave fish since childhood.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Matteus, can do. I have a lot going on with them right now. They are currently in a 450 gallon tank (540 gallon system as it has about 90 gallons of filtration) that is woefully too small. That tank has been in my house 9 years and the silicone seams are starting to look sketchy. I just had a baby and was planning to move in the next 1-2 years so that the baby doesn't have to sleep in the dining room for ever. Short term: I need to reseal the 450 gallon tank BEFORE it starts to leak. Long term: I need to build them a new tank. I had originally planned to wait to build the new tank until I was in a new house, but now I am not sure of how much longer I will be in this house. Hubby seems to think it may be 3-5 years rather than 1-2. The pacu can't stay in that 450 gallon tank another 3-5 years. I considered just building the new tank now and not bothering to reseal the 450 at all, but I am a teacher and I go back to school in 2 weeks. I don't think I can build a tank that fast. I will reseal for now and plan a build for next summer whether we are moving or not.

Reactions: moe214 and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Matteus, can do. I have a lot going on with them right now. They are currently in a 450 gallon tank (540 gallon system as it has about 90 gallons of filtration) that is woefully too small. That tank has been in my house 9 years and the silicone seams are starting to look sketchy. I just had a baby and was planning to move in the next 1-2 years so that the baby doesn't have to sleep in the dining room for ever. Short term: I need to reseal the 450 gallon tank BEFORE it starts to leak. Long term: I need to build them a new tank. I had originally planned to wait to build the new tank until I was in a new house, but now I am not sure of how much longer I will be in this house. Hubby seems to think it may be 3-5 years rather than 1-2. The pacu can't stay in that 450 gallon tank another 3-5 years. I considered just building the new tank now and not bothering to reseal the 450 at all, but I am a teacher and I go back to school in 2 weeks. I don't think I can build a tank that fast. I will reseal for now and plan a build for next summer whether we are moving or not.
Sounds like an adventure. I can understand, I am also trying to plan my fish keeping around a move in the near future.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Its done. They are bigger than I thought. I have video of 2 of the three getting caught. Those fish are at least 30" and 25-30lbs. I may need to build the new tank now after all. I'll get the pics and videos loaded. I used a bed sheet to do it.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store