MTSs and YOYOs

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
I currently have a 29 gallon tank with a sand bottom, so i'm getting MTS's to stir it up and keep those anearobic pockets out of it, but i'm worried that the 3 yoyo loaches will completely kill off all of my snails. Do you think that the 25 snails i am getting will multiply quick enough to keep my yoyo's in check? i hope the sand also helps hide them a bit.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
If there is any way to give the snails 2 weeks to get established then put the loaches back in I think that would even the odds

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
I don't think so. I can't really put the loaches in any other tank, because they are way too crampt in a 10 gallon, as these are full grown loaches.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Loaches are snail eating monsters. I have heard plenty of stories at the lfs about "My loaches aren't eating my snails" though. My clowns and yoyos devour MTS's.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
i know these guys love snails. maybe i can throw about half of them in the 10 gallon tank just in case my yoyo's obliterate all the MTSs. That way i can get a small colony goin in the 10 gallon, and maybe i can overwhelm the yoyos so they just get some snacks occasionally and i still have a big colony of snails to sift sand.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
So far so good! I put them in, and one of my yoyo's nailed one right away, and i think out of the about 15 i put in the 29, 5 are burrowed into the sand, 2 are eaten and the rest are just wondering around eating algea and stuff and the yoyo's don't really care! lol

i still got around 10, maybe less in my 10 gallon, hopefully they'll breed.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
GREAT! I was hoping there wouldn't be much of a problem as i need something to eat algea and stay with my bichir, but i still love my yoyos and would never get rid of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store