My 2" Red Dragon Flowerhorn Advice

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Here is an example of a fish I got for $5.00 at less then half an inch. See how you can see the pearls even at such a small size. He didnt end up being a great looking FH for my standards so I sold him.12:27:15-6:3:16.jpg

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Thanks so much for posting those growth progression pics! Not enough of that online IMO. I would have been pretty happy with yours, but yeah, I see what you are saying...even when it was tiny it had a lot more pearling than mine do now. I had one that came in the batch of 6 that I bought that had more pearling, but it was the tiniest one and did not eat, got picked on by the others, and died. The other ones were about 3-4x its size. Maybe I should have isolated that one. All of the remaining 5 in the batch look exactly the same, like the one in the photo. Ugh. I'm going to see if I can give these guys away and try and start over. Still need to find a reputable source. Maybe I'll try giving the guys in Brooklyn a call...I just checked craigslist and nothing. Are there any other good forums or FB pages maybe with people selling FHs?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Yes there are tons of sellers on FB. The only problem is that you are going to pay a lot more for a nice fish. The shipping alone is around $50.00-$100.00. Aqua Craze is on face book. They are in Cali. Julie (if I am remembering her name correctly) is one of the owners and she is really well known in the flowerhorn world. They usually have a nice stock of flowerhorns and their prices are good. I wouldn't give away your other fish yet. It might be neat to see what they turn into over the next few months. Unless you are struggling with tank space.

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
So, I took your advice and kept the $10 flowerhorns I bought online. I posted the pictures of what they looked like in the beginning (first post on this thread), but they went through some dramatic changes (especially color) the past few weeks. First they started turning red/orange. Then they started getting all kind of patchy black spots on their bodies/fins. At first I thought it was some kind of disease or something. But after a couple/few weeks, almost all the black stuff has disappeared, and now two of my flowerhorns have almost no black markings on them at all (even the ones they used to have). They are all a yellow/orange color. What kind of FHs do you think these are? They do look a lot like parrot cichlids IMO. What do you think?

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

Reactions: Niki_up

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Well the oranges and reds look great. This is a little more confirmation to my original assumption that they were created from a FH x Parrot cross. Who knows maybe one of them might develop a nice kok (hump head). Maybe hold on to your favorite one or two and watch them grow. Then keep your eyes open for any local breeders that you could pick up a really nice FH from. If none exist order one from Julie.

The Silvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Leeds UK
I also doubt the "flowerhorn" title here. Jaws seem to be to pronounced, I'd also bet on these being a parrot cross breed. Not that it's a bad thing. Just maybe not what you were hoping for in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store