my 300 gallon plywood tank build video

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
Nice build. Is the advantage of this build just cost effectiveness? Will you be using the same method on your future giant tank build or will you do something else? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you overall for the build alone?
Advantage of this build was cost. one big part of cost savings is to stay in the 2ft deap mark any thing past that requires jumping to 3/4 glass that ups the price x4 in my area. Also at 3/8 to 1/2 inch a single man in decent shape can carry it alone.

As far as methob on the next tank. my fiberglassing methobe will be used and the pool paint will be used. But because i wish to jump to 3ft deap water. The out side will have to be reinforced and I am debbating overlapping a layer of 1/2 on the whole inside so as to elimate the chance of a seam failier.

Break down on cost well i planned and bought everything for this build only when onsale over a 4 month period of time the only exeption was the glass.
But here is a list of everything used
2 - 2ft x 4ft 3/4 plywood
2 - 4ft x 8ft 3/4 plywood
5 - pound bow 1 1/4 self tapping screws
4 - tubes of luiquid nail
1 - bottle gorilla glue
10 - 8ft 2 x 4
2 - 1 gallon pool paint (some colors cost more then others)
1 - 16inch by 48 inch starbright 1/2 glass
2 - tubes silicone (1 was enouph to mount glass in the end but im glad i had 2 incase)
1 - 5 gallon marine grade fiberglass with hardner (used almost 3 gallons)

My total cost in the end was around 420.00 but as said i waited and only bought tings on sale.

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
Just wanted to post a quick update that the tank is holding Great. I have had a problem with the pool paint peeling in one area. But I am confident that was due to poor sanding on my part and not the paints fault. I have in my searches found others that have done this paint on fiber glass and had the same problem if the surface was not fully sanded and ruffed up right.

Other then that the tank and fish are great and pushing past the 2ft mark easy.

Dzballzzz

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2021
Nice tank. We're trying to learn so we can build one during our home remodel. @ratticlerodents is subscribed on YouTube. We'll definitely be following.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store