My 450 Build thread

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I see, well bonded I would have thought it's essentially one piece. That's a bit concerning as mine isn't specifically braced either. Although, the ends of the drains are connected securely on the other end hopefully helps with the pressure ?

Ignorance is blissed.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I see, well bonded I would have thought it's essentially one piece. That's a bit concerning as mine isn't specifically braced either. Although, the ends of the drains are connected securely on the other end hopefully helps with the pressure ?

Ignorance is blissed.
I thought the same thing, all of my plumbing is firmly mounted as well. Now that the overflow it is probably supported I don't know why I wouldn't have supported it. It seems necessary given the weight of all there water that is in there.

I have finally started on the water supply for the tank. I'm tired of using the hose from my sink. I'm setting up pre filter and bypass plumbing after my mixing valve. I'm still up in the air about the mixing valve not a fan of it and may go with two copper ball valves for my hot and cold feeds. I'm still waiting on some supplies to come in but I would like to finish this asap.
IMG_0238.JPG
I also started on finishing the stand, I started with the molding on the bottom of the tank. After seeing dr exum dr exum new tank and canopy I was inspired to see what it would look like so I made a test canopy pit of some scraps.
IMG_0230.JPG

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Man, gonna be fire! Mine has structural blocks on the top I did not like at first but have grown on me...

putting crown on it is next level! Nice!

dunno if pics are helpful... wanted it to hide the water line.

AB41937E-46C1-416F-B4B4-F35E198D5ED2.jpeg

8159E032-BF6E-4573-9037-8541AF5AF8D7.jpeg

Reactions: TheWolfman

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Both nice trimming.

I know the water lines can be unsightly, but really dont notice when return is on with surface agitation.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I ended up doing the canopy, it just looks too good to not match the bottom trim. I also like how it hides the trim and plywood.

IMG_0355.PNG

I also managed to find the time to counter sink and fill all the screw holes on the stand. I ended up skim coating a few spots on the stand, sanded, made a complete mess of the living room, and painted the stand. I still need to make doors, but I finally have a plan for how I'm going to make the doors so they don't interfere with service to the sump. Water change plumbing is back on hold, it turns out I'm not the best with a torch lol. I might just hook up to my laundry plumbing with hoses/ mixing valves and do it that way. The tank also might need to be moved depending if I end up renovating my kitchen or not this year, big tank problems...

Before

IMG_0341.JPG

Filled the holes

IMG_0346.JPG

Painted

IMG_0354.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store