my 8" and smaller freshwater rays are biting the ends of each others tails

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
I have 5 small rays in a 450 gallon tank. the water is testing good, i do 50% water changes 2 times per week. i feed them until they are full 4 days a week, skipping 3 days due to my tank only being a few months old and im still building up my bio. the 2 smallest rays have the ends of their tails bitten off. i have no idea who is doing it. i put a camera on the tank so i can watch, but i have seen nothing. is this normal behavior? its causing stress and anxiety for me and this is supposed to be relaxing.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think ray aggression from the larger rays since you mentioned you have 2 smaller rays. If you’re able to separate then do so. Clean water and a good appetite is enough to heal that tail.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
A non-ray fish could also be suspect. I see a silver dollar and severum in there. Any other tankmates?

Reactions: kno4te

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
there were some clown ghost knifes, but i got them out. they were also a suspect. I have the rays separated now and am treating with melafix. i have a camera on the tank, and never seen any aggressive behavior. one time i saw the ghost knife nip, and i took them right out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store