Feeder Fish
Nov 26, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a 5 year old arrowana which is about 20". It wasn't eating for the past couple of weeks, but it was swimming like it usually does. Also it was usually normal for him to stop eating for 2-3 days or more as my mother tends to overfeed. Suddenly out of nowhere a week ago he started to spend most of his time at the bottom of the tank. About a day later his tail was rising a mildly towards the top, but it wasn't much and he didn't have to put in a lot of effort to stay down.

His only tank mate is a Koi fish and they usually get along well. He looked a little bloated and I feared it was dropsy so I moved him to a medical tank and lowered the water. Put in about 30 gms of epsom salt in 30 gallons of water, hoping it'd help him with any constipation issues. He mostly stays in a place and whenever he moves, he scrapes the bottom of the tank and also he keeps on drifting and swimming slowly into the glass. This has cause injuries on his barbles and what looks like a mildly busted lip. He doesn't eat at all, tried feeding him peas but no response.

I've been adding about a 30 more gallons of water everyday and flushing the same amount out in the hopes of keeping the parameters in check. Accordingly I add epsom salt to the water. Since today morning I've noticed a lot of redness on his underbody which wasnt there until yesterday, probably from scraping the under body or the signs of an infection. He keeps on opening and closing his mouth constantly.

I'm new to this forum and hoping that you guys can help me figure out the problem as the fish is very dear to my mother and it's been with us for a long time. I live in India, where there's not much scope for fish vets. If you guys cam help me narrow down the issues, I can arrange for medicines. Thank you so much in advance.

I hope all of you are having a great Thanksgiving weekend :)20221126_205045.jpg20221126_205008.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like mouth rot and septicemia. From the looks. Try and add some abx ( broad spectrum would be good) and keep the water clean.

Reactions: tlindsey

legogo13

Feeder Fish
Nov 26, 2022
Looks like mouth rot and septicemia. From the looks. Try and add some abx ( broad spectrum would be good) and keep the water clean.
Thank you so much for getting back to me
The redness on his body seems to be increasing at a faster pace. Any particular antibiotic you'd recommend? I added a little metronidazole in the water, but I think it mostly helps with parasites.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you so much for getting back to me
The redness on his body seems to be increasing at a faster pace. Any particular antibiotic you'd recommend? I added a little metronidazole in the water, but I think it mostly helps with parasites.
Not sure what’s carried in India. But I’d try maracyn2 or kanamycin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store