my basic snook fishing tips

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
OK i sent tis to juan a few months ago and feel it may help. if anybody catches one fish from it then its worth it.
Basic snook rundown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear- a 7 foot rod with a fast action and at least med strength backbone. a fast ratio spinning reel spooled up with 20-30 lb braded line. a good 20-40 lb mono shock leader depending where your fishing. good gear equals more fish.

Bait- LIVE AND KICKIN. whitebait is at the top of my list. select shrimp will also do the trick but def second to whitebait.Also a pinfish, pork fish, snakefish, and ladyfish will do the trick when targeting those toads. as far as artificials go you cant go wrong with jerk baits in natural colors. i like DOA CAL series and Exude. im a big fan of yo-zuris crystal minnows for actively feeding fish. also DOA 3in shrimp in clear/goldflake/rootbeer are good for shrimp poppers. a TOP DOG or Spook are good topwaters in the morning of evening. big bait equals big fish. ive caught foot long fish on a 4-5 in shiner.

Location- eyes and ears open, you usually hear them before you see them, popping baits. structure is key. period.look for good cover or anything out of the ordinary. There are 3 main types of places i fish for snook. Beaches, mangroves, docks/seawalls. beaches are great in the summertime. look for spawning fish at your feet in the surf. this is a good time to catch those trofy sows. Mangroves are prob the most challenging places to fish, mostly because they all look alike and you have to pich a stretch to fish. look for somthing different. fallen trees ledges grass edges etc. I use corks when i fish the groves because you can see the strike and turn the fish. they will put you in the bushes if you blink. lastly the docks and sea walls. prob the least sporty but a good shot at hog fish. night time is good under the dock lights, they attract little fish and the food cycle insues. dont use little rods if the fish are big, go for the grouper rods. 100lb test is not to big for leader. you are fishing right under you feet most of the time so hod on tight and craaaaaaaaank him out quick! big baits are mostly used in this style. its pretty much a 5 second slug fest. the victor is decided quick.

I would reccomend booking a cheap charter captain to take you out and learn the ropes. you can learn more in a couple hrs from a caotain than you learn in a year of going solo. also POLORISED glasses are a must. if you are in the E coast sebastian inlet is arguably the best snook spot in the world. Tight lines and Good fishin

ps. min size is 27in pinched tail length. max is 34. 1 per person per day

lets hear what my fellow anglers think.

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
im not feelin the love......

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005