Why betta killed it?:cry:

• Sad
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Because it’s in only 3 gallons. There are two types of bettas, the 1 in a million that gets along with others, or the mean ones.
3 gallons is barely enough for a single betta, and they are very territorial. Once it decided the sae was no good, it killed it.
Sae needs a much larger tank anyway.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Today morning i fed both both had their apettite
I saw betta chasing the SAE ocassionaly
They were in a large 3 gallon planted bowl
Now waht I see is a dead algae eater at the bottom

Sorry for the loss. Territorial issue possibly or Betta disliked the SAE. Most species like space so 3 gallons is minimal for the Betta.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Today morning i fed both both had their apettite
I saw betta chasing the SAE ocassionaly
They were in a large 3 gallon planted bowl
Now waht I see is a dead algae eater at the bottom
You put them in a 3 gallon bowl, that’s why. The sae would have died either way if he stayed in there as he would have grown too large, had too high a bioload, and potentially used up all of the oxygen. That is assuming you weren’t going to upgrade them.

There are two types of bettas, the 1 in a million that gets along with others, or the mean ones.
Not true whatsoever, it is false information, betta splendens that share tanks with other fish without problems are not rare especially not 1 in a million.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Not true whatsoever, it is false information, betta splendens that share tanks with other fish without problems are not rare especially not 1 in a million.
Yes, you are right.
I meant that in such a small tank the betta is much more likely to have tankmate issues than in a proper tank size. Same with any aggressive fish.
I definitely exaggerated too much.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Because it’s in only 3 gallons. There are two types of bettas, the 1 in a million that gets along with others, or the mean ones.
3 gallons is barely enough for a single betta, and they are very territorial. Once it decided the sae was no good, it killed it.
Sae needs a much larger tank anyway.
I have a male betta that loves other fish he’s extremely nice lol

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have a male betta that loves other fish he’s extremely nice lol
Yes I over-exaggerated betta aggression. Mild tempered bettas are not that rare, but tankmate and tank size makes a huge difference.
I have had bettas go tetra hunting, and another get harassed by platies.

What I meant to say is that almost all bettas, even the nicest ones, are prone to cause aggression. One that is 100% peaceful in any situation is rare.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yes I over-exaggerated betta aggression. Mild tempered bettas are not that rare, but tankmate and tank size makes a huge difference.
I have had bettas go tetra hunting, and another get harassed by platies.

What I meant to say is that almost all bettas, even the nicest ones, are prone to cause aggression. One that is 100% peaceful in any situation is rare.
Yea I meant mine is peacuful I used to have 2 male bettas I’m a community tank but one got ate by a frog in the tank but. The one I hate now is beautiful and extremely nice

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yea I meant mine is peacuful I used to have 2 male bettas I’m a community tank but one got ate by a frog in the tank but. The one I hate now is beautiful and extremely nice
The two males never fought? How big?
What kind of frog? I’m picturing a dwarf frog eating a betta but clawed seems more likely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store