My Black Ghost Knife is acting weird. Help please!

whitexboii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
I'm sort of concerned about my black ghost knife...
he is just sitting in the plants and his belly fins (not sure what they are actually called) aren't moving, but when i move close to the tank where he is he starts moving again.
usually his belly fins are constantly moving.
is he sick or is he fine and just being normal and i haven't noticed it before.
he is eating fine and regularly by the way.

also if anyone could tell me, how do i increase his activity, i know they are a fish that likes to hide alot, but is there a way i can increase his activity in the tank from just sitting in the plants and corner of the tank?

Reactions: Jerson

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
Well a way u can see him more is by adding a "ghost pipe" its kinda like one of those plastic gerbile pipes but its clear(they think there hidding but u can see them). For wats amater i would suggest to update a pic usaly helps most ppl.

skylarman

Banned
Nov 23, 2007
california
whitexboii;1288197; said:
also if anyone could tell me, how do i increase his activity, i know they are a fish that likes to hide alot, but is there a way i can increase his activity in the tank from just sitting in the plants and corner of the tank?
sorry dude bad news, u cant really increase there activity, some are shy lil wussies and others swim around. i know u can make clown knife much more active, i know both my clown knife and my black ghost swimm all the time and never hide. the only thing im guessing u could do is take out all of its good hiding spots so it has nothing else to do but come out and swim around. then when its active slowly ad a few more hiding spots back into the tank just in case.

octofasciatus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2007
The blue corner
I just chucked a 2" section of cucumber in my tank. Never seen so much of black ghost. Try it - but I beleive all black ghosts are quite individual.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
mine rests ALL THE TIME and it's hard not to disturb it cuz it looks dead.

Beastly Bichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
New York
Knives are funny. Your knife might be one of the ones that prefers to swim in the dark. You could add tannins to the water to replicate his natural habitat or install a blue light. I wouldn't remove his hiding spots. This will make him more skittish. The more hiding spots, the more a fish will come out because it feels safe.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If you give it a lot...and I mean A LOT of hiding spots, maybe then...just MAYBE it'll become more active for you.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
mine was more active and not skittish with the lights on when i had less hiding spots. now that it has some good places to hide, it stays there, usually hides in the same spot. if i move stuff around, it will find a new place and stay there most of the time. i try to make sure i can still see at least some of it anywhere it would be able to hide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store