my CA cichlids

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'm going to be posting pictures of my CA cichlids here. They're in a 180 gallon aquarium. I'm not sure what the final stocking will be, as I'm trying different fish, but I'll show what I have so far here, as I can get some decent pictures taken.

First up is my little LFS JD. I bought this fish to help cycle the tank a few weeks ago at about 1.5". It's coming along nicely, is about 2" now.

It's eating well, doesn't seem picky at all. Eating mostly NLS 1mm cichlid pellets and blood worms.

It changes it's color quite drastically, sometimes looking almost all black, sometimes mostly yellow, and other times very stripey. It can make these changes very rapidly too. Pretty interesting fish. Not sure if it's male or female.

View attachment DSC_0017.JPG

Next up is a bay snook. I got these locally through the MFK Marketplace. I have two of these, both male (presumably), in the 5.5-6" range. Love these fish, very beautiful, and graceful swimmers too.

They're being a bit finicky about their foods. I'm feeding several different foods, and so far they are only taking Fluval Bug Bites Cichlid Formula. They love these. Also, they only seem to take foods floating in the water column. I've not seen them eat off the bottom; I hope that changes. The Fluval pellets sink slowly. I think I need to find more slow sinking pellets.

It's hard to get good pictures of these guys because they are always in motion.

DSC_0001.JPG

View attachment DSC_0009.JPG

More to come later...

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm going to be posting pictures of my CA cichlids here. They're in a 180 gallon aquarium. I'm not sure what the final stocking will be, as I'm trying different fish, but I'll show what I have so far here, as I can get some decent pictures taken.

First up is my little LFS JD. I bought this fish to help cycle the tank a few weeks ago at about 1.5". It's coming along nicely, is about 2" now.

It's eating well, doesn't seem picky at all. Eating mostly NLS 1mm cichlid pellets and blood worms.

It changes it's color quite drastically, sometimes looking almost all black, sometimes mostly yellow, and other times very stripey. It can make these changes very rapidly too. Pretty interesting fish. Not sure if it's male or female.

View attachment 1386570

Next up is a bay snook. I got these locally through the MFK Marketplace. I have two of these, both male (presumably), in the 5.5-6" range. Love these fish, very beautiful, and graceful swimmers too.

They're being a bit finicky about their foods. I'm feeding several different foods, and so far they are only taking Fluval Bug Bites Cichlid Formula. They love these. Also, they only seem to take foods floating in the water column. I've not seen them eat off the bottom; I hope that changes. The Fluval pellets sink slowly. I think I need to find more slow sinking pellets.

It's hard to get good pictures of these guys because they are always in motion.

View attachment 1386571

View attachment 1386572

More to come later...
You got some snooks then. Nice fish, I also like the mottled morph best.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Glad to see your back mate, not seen a post from you for ages.
Life has been hectic so far this year, started struggling to find the time for maintenance. Sold all my stock off a while back and had my tank up for sale. Backed out at the last minute and did a easy maintenance set up a few months back.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Life has been hectic so far this year, started struggling to find the time for maintenance. Sold all my stock off a while back and had my tank up for sale. Backed out at the last minute and did a easy maintenance set up a few months back.
Sorry op for the deraile.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Nice. What else are you putting in there? The orange form of Melanarus from Belize would look great with the snooks. I agree with others, I like the “regular” pattern over the pink.

Reactions: adamsfishes

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Here is my Herichthys carpintis, from the same LFS as the JD. They actually looked to be pretty good quality, and I tried to pick what I thought was the nicest one.

Anyway, here he (?) is at 4". There were a bunch of these guys in a typical 20 gallon LFS tank, and they all had caudal fin damage. It's healing, but you can still see it. Should be all better soon.

View attachment DSC_0007.JPG

View attachment DSC_0013_2.JPG

Notice his fat belly? Well, the first couple days I had the snooks, they were not eating. So I thought I'd try some live fish to see if that enticed them since they look like piscivores to me with that huge mouth. I added 6 little swordtails. The snooks weren't interested, but guess who was ... I love this pic. He's just sitting there in the cave going nom nom nom nom with a tail sticking out of his mouth.

View attachment DSC_0001_2.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store