my catfish disappeared in my pond, how to tell if he's alive or not?

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I put him in the pond a couple of months ago because he got too big for my tank. I really like him and just want to know if he's alive or dead :( there is some algae in the pond making it hard to see down there, you can't see the bottom of the pond but that's where he is at.

he is a Wallago but it is a heated pond

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably gott drain and check. Other option is drop a camera (go pro ona stick) and see if it comes out. Try at night and see if it’s there.

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Will do! Draining it would be a serious pain and loss of water, it's a pretty big and deep pond. I tried camming down there a bit a couple weeks ago but all I saw was green...yes I am also on the algae issue too.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Will do! Draining it would be a serious pain and loss of water, it's a pretty big and deep pond. I tried camming down there a bit a couple weeks ago but all I saw was green...yes I am also on the algae issue too.
Get some pen bred minnows, and lightly tie one at time to fishing line, he should attack if he's in there.

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Oh there's a few minnows already swimming around in there for the past few weeks.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Oh there's a few minnows already swimming around in there for the past few weeks.
That doesn't really answer your question, the purpose of the minnows is to lure the wallago to where you can see it , hence the fishing line.

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
i saw him, he's alive! Or he was a few days ago down there...it really is amazing how easily fish can disappear in there lol...thank you by the way for the advice and help.

Now it is in the 80s and 90s suddenly but the pond is still in the mid 60s. even at the top. do they just take a while to heat up in the springtime? i didn't have the pond this time last year so I wonder.

edit: yes the pond is heated but now that it's been so warm i turnt the heater off for the summertime.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If you cant see him hes most likely alive, if he died you would see his underside or him floating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store