My datnoid injured it’s body (again...)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If this has happened twice, maybe he needs a bigger tank/ more swimming room to keep him from running into things. It seems like more Datnoid keepers go minimal to no aqua scaping.
Bigger is always better of course but I doubt that a bigger tank would remedy this issue.The fish does not get burned from running into the heater but rather from lying against it as has already been touched on in a previous post.Most keepers go minimal with aquascaping because dats more than likely will hide most of the time if cover is privided.
I have very few hideaways for my dats but I avoid bright lighting which seems to keep my dats at ease and moving around the tank.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Bigger is always better of course but I doubt that a bigger tank would remedy this issue.The fish does not get burned from running into the heater but rather from lying against it as has already been touched on in a previous post.Most keepers go minimal with aquascaping because dats more than likely will hide most of the time if cover is privided.
I have very few hideaways for my dats but I avoid bright lighting which seems to keep my dats at ease and moving around the tank.
Thanks for your insight! The tank is planted so unfortunately i can't dim the lights. I''ll probably get a heater guard and let it just lie on that since it spends majority of its time against the heater. I've always suspected this could be a problem but nothing has happened until now. Hopefully it gets better.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for your insight! The tank is planted so unfortunately i can't dim the lights. I''ll probably get a heater guard and let it just lie on that since it spends majority of its time against the heater. I've always suspected this could be a problem but nothing has happened until now. Hopefully it gets better.
How about getting a small piece of slate or some type of flat rock just big enough for the dat to hide behind.You could lean it against the back panel on the opposite side of the tank from where the heater is situated.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
How about getting a small piece of slate or some type of flat rock just big enough for the dat to hide behind.You could lean it against the back panel on the opposite side of the tank from where the heater is situated.
That’s a good idea, i can do that once the datnoid is healed. My question is so large datnoids lie around the tank like that as well or is it just the smaller ones. I’ve always were under the impression they were much more active and while my little one will def greet me at the glass for massivores, it generally will stay in one place and lay there lol.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Also, the datnoid in its new tank either coughed up or pooped a massive amount of digested massivores. It looks like massivores but reshaped and is around the size of my pinkie. Is this normal? I’m assuming because they eat quite a lot it’s normal for it to come out but I’ve just never seen it’s poop before so just making sure.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Though I won't rule it out I dont recall seeing larger dats lay on their sides like the smaller ones tend to do.I don't recall any of mine regurgitating any food either.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Though I won't rule it out I dont recall seeing larger dats lay on their sides like the smaller ones tend to do.I don't recall any of mine regurgitating any food either.
Okay. The datnoid is behaving a bit odd. It’ll thrash and splash the water in the quarantine tank every once in a while. Also it’s skin seemed to healed. Idk if it’s the lighting or it heals quick, but the fleshy bit is gone and basically looks just a bit lighter color in the area. There’s no light on the quarantine tank so hard to get a pic. I’m contemplating moving it back to the main tank since it looks uncomfortable in the smaller, completely bare bottom tank. I just don’t want to do more harm to it and stress it out anymore.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
If you move it back before providing somewhere to hide it I suspect it will go for the heater again.
It’s called down so I’m gonna keep it there for now. I’m thinking of using something to cover the heater or scrap the heater completely for the week. It’s getting warmer here and temp in the tank will probably stay constant at least for a few days. Thanks for voicing your concerns, they are def helping me with the decision making process!

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It’s called down so I’m gonna keep it there for now. I’m thinking of using something to cover the heater or scrap the heater completely for the week. It’s getting warmer here and temp in the tank will probably stay constant at least for a few days. Thanks for voicing your concerns, they are def helping me with the decision making process!
No problemo friendo,glad to be of any help that I can.

Reactions: Rayfishowner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store