my disaster experience keeping stingrays

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Id like to share 3 expensive experiences from keeping rays these past 1.5 years.

if someone would like to share their experiences too, that would be great.

1- do some researches for common rays diseases, and have some common meds (prazipro and the kind/ seachem paraguard: etc etc) at your disposal.

I had 4 rays got gill flukes and lost 2 of it because i didnt have the meds ready on time. The other 2 are now getting so much better and eating really well after i treated the whole tank with seachem paraguard (cant find prazipro here in indonesia).

2- if you have more than 1 tank, dont mix use the equipments between tanks. I believed the flukes was transmited from my other tank to the ray tank.

3- if you use canister, always check your tank temperature regularly. Especially if you put the filter output inside the water. Also make sure you dont close the tank lid completely. It limits the oxygen exchange. It also trap the heat.I lost 2 of my very first rays befause of the temperature went so high due to the above. I suffocated them :(

Reactions: Drstrangelove

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
If your water temp gets that hot I'd suggest you get a good aerator to pump lots of oxygen into the tank then keeping it covered completely won't be a problem. I've heard of guys having rays on the floor dried up cause of uncovered tanks too. Still sucks having problems with any fish let alone a ray.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
A chiller set at a sensible upper level will take the edge off the extra high temps, aeration is key and you could try a constant drip with cold water and also have a fan blowing across the water surface for evaporation with auto top up. A heat sink is a good idea in alloy or stainless steel if you can set up a heat exchanger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store