My eventful lunch break.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
So every day at work I go home on lunch to feed the koi pond, goldfish pond, three guppy tanks and out door guppy tub and my Congo tetra who are in with my polys. While feeding the tetra I notice a particularly thick blob of diatom algae on a crypt leaf. So I reach in to rub it off.
Delhezi are decent at this camouflage thing.
My largest del (maybe 7 inches now...they’re growing fast and I love it) was hiding against the driftwood this particular crypt is growing on. As I reach in, he nips my finger. Obviously it didn’t hurt. But it made me jump and pull my finger out of the tank.
My hand was cupped, allowing my to scoop a healthy handful of water and throw it right into my face.
I wish there was video. It had to have looked hilarious. And disgusting. The water gets weekly changes. But still. Two eyes, a mouth and half a shirt full of water.
So that was my day.
♂

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That sounds amusing! I recall at London zoo the Delhezi were pretty much statues, at least you could get a new (and less earthy) shirt before heading back to work.

Is tank water worse than koi pond water?

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
No I don’t think tank water is worse. Maybe because that tank is carnivorous the water is a little bit nastier but I way over filter and probably do a 20-30% wc each week on it.
Koi are messy but generally I’m feeding them fish food and oranges. Although they get shrimp on occasion too. All depends on how clean you keep them. We all know that. The koi were the first venture in to fish keeping for me so the life support isn’t set up as well as I would like. Not bottom drain, diy filtration. Idk which I’d rather catch a mouth full of. Let’s say neither.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store