My experiences with Adontosternarchus nebulosus, also known as the clouded ghost knifefish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I just caught the survivor lying down on a leaf of my amazon sword sleeping, just something interesting and possibly useful I thought I’d share.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Alas I am the bearer of bad news, the last one has perished and to my shock I believe I know why. I had the tank the knifefish were set up in as a platy breeding tank before they went in and when I moved the platties out and the knifefish in I left whatever fry that remained there and they just continued to grow. The knifefish never ate the fry as I believed they would, no, the fry just kept on living to my surprise. I never thought anything of it until a few days ago when I saw a fry actively going after the knifefish at feeding time which was many times it’s size. I didn’t think much of it besides that I needed to move them out soon which I planned to do today as I wouldn’t have been busy at all but I found the knife dead on the bottom. A bit before I noticed the platy going after the knife when it was feeding time I noticed that the fry eating all of the food I was putting in for the knife so I ended up feeding in the middle of the night as well, the night before I found the knife dead I watched the tank for a bit longer than normal and realized that the platties were going after this food as well. At this point I’m thinking that the platties were eating all of the food I put in which has led to the death of the latter one and possibly played a role in the first ones death as well. I never considered that platties are such aggressive eaters that it might cause a problem.

• Sad

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Sorry to hear :(
I have seen livebearers going after a ray at a shop, they're relentless!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I underestimated them due to their size and for that I have paid the price, I am not sad not mad, no, I am rather glad I went through this experience as I know to avoid it in the future. Speaking of future, I plan to take a break from these fish for a while until I can give them more attention as it was a lack of attention that ended up with me being less observant than I should have. Perhaps in a year I will go after them again, two years is likely the longest I will wait I believe.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Yeah. Livebearers. They are pretty, but they seem to be relentless. Sorry to hear. In looks, I much rather prefer the Black Ghost Knifefish tbh.

Reaper205

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2022
Any update on the knifefish? I recently got a few and would love to know how yours are doing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store