My first dip with dorado, sold as brassie by Rapps, thought to be frankie

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've written about my dorado in various threads, so I thought it worth to start documenting my experience with it in its own thread.

After some months spent in 4500 gal, it is back in its original 240 gal where it grew up with all other naughty fish. I call it a jerk tank.

Currently about 10"-12", got it about a year ago from Jeff Rapps at 4" as brasiliensis but guys with experience say it looks franciscanus. I've not tried to count the number of scales yet.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update. This video was shot Dec 21 2017 in 240 gal.

The dorado has not eaten or has not eaten much in the hot season time when the water temps were 86-90 F. Just like its profile says, it prefers a bit cooler water of 68-82 F. When the water cooled in Oct-Nov, it started eating very well again. Disregards thawed fish chunks, only takes Ziegler pellets. Reached about 15".

A few days back the dorado has started to be pestered by the Prochilodus lineatus (which has been on the receiving end for a year) and perhaps Distichodus lusosso. So I took it out and I am currently trying it out again in 4500 gal. So far my two 20" VATF gave it some chasing with an intent ... but it seems to be getting far less frequent. Will see. This is still a great risk and I am quite uncomfortable with this gamble. Right now I wish I transferred the dorado to another 240 gal instead of the 4500 gal (which I need to half-drain, get inside, and wade and try to catch it, which will take a good half hour, while everyone else is scared, flipping in the air, and defecating...).

Is that a Prochilodus in there with the Dorado?
Sorry, it took me 1.5 years to stumble upon your question but yes, it is a Prochilodus lineatus or streaked prochilod aka one of dorado's favorite prey items in the wild.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I think you should grab some of the dorado that Wes has that are suppose to be from Argentina and potentially true brassies.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Must be a sight to see the vatf chasing the dorado. The speed of them I mean.

Reactions: Simonas

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think you should grab some of the dorado that Wes has that are suppose to be from Argentina and potentially true brassies.
Amen, brother, after seeing Kendragon's and Jibran's videos of dorado packs I think a 10-pack would look awesome. I really have been wanting to get these since Wes brought them but my tanks and money bag are maxed out... These are not cheap at $100 a pop plus I can't sneak them past the safety (aka wife) ... and the goalie (my conscience).

Must be a sight to see the vatf chasing the dorado. The speed of them I mean.
It is a sight alright but one can't see it anyway because it's lightning fast and moreover I'd much prefer it not be in my tanks involving my fish. :)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Amen, brother, after seeing Kendragon's and Jibran's videos of dorado packs I think a 10-pack would look awesome. I really have been wanting to get these since Wes brought them but my tanks and money bag are maxed out... These are not cheap at $100 a pop plus I can't sneak them past the safety (aka wife) ... and the goalie (my conscience).

It is a sight alright but one can't see it anyway because it's lightning fast and moreover I'd much prefer it not be in my tanks involving my fish. :)
Regarding the pack, keep in mind they do get more solitary as they get larger, supposedly anyway. And I hear you, that's why I clarified the speed of them at the same time, ofcourse the aggression is unwanted

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
An obligatory yearly update.

The dorado has remained in the 4500 gal on parole this whole year. It is currently around 18"-20".

In turn, it started chasing the VATF a month or two ago, especially the beta's fins show it, the alpha's rather intact. It's been tolerable but beta and alpha get into a tiff every now and then anyway, so I am unsure what the dorado contribution is, if any. I do witness the dorado give both VATF a chase but more so the beta.

Earlier, perhaps 6-9 months ago, the dorado suddenly switched to thawed fish for the first time since I had had it. It can put away a lot of fish. Having roughly the same size as the VATF, it eats 1.5x-2x more than the VATF.

Clip (I had threatened it with going back to a 240 gal in the video but things have stabilized since then):

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store