My first discus

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
CF3C64AC-139C-4F31-90D8-9D090911BAD6.jpeg 55A70FA3-9206-4BFE-ABB6-F725A86C5B98.jpeg BC00F919-E1E2-4710-AD8E-9FE6C660E8D7.jpeg 7477FF6E-5340-47A0-8959-C2C30D4DDF5D.jpeg DCDBACE7-F5F6-4D7C-9384-F565C32A9B96.jpeg F7A61CA8-1919-44B1-82BD-E94E7A9607FE.jpeg 33ED91B6-01F9-4AC2-B63C-FBE17C02B5E5.jpeg 5E3E421F-BC8F-45DF-8088-626AEE2A89A3.jpeg 66AEAC84-CCBE-4C75-B1D4-AACD0D85D1E0.jpeg First of all, let me start with this:
Thank you to all staff members and associates responsible for making this forum possible, and thank you to the members who provide their input and content.
I’ve been a member for a short time but have found a great wealth of information sharing while here that has taught me more in the time I’ve been here than what I could learn in a year by reading google. Facts are great for learning about something, but nothing helps you UNDERSTAND better than personal experience. Not all fish are equal, and no one thing will be the solution to everything. Because of this, I appreciate and welcome all suggestions, stories, and photos to help other aquarists and I learn and UNDERSTAND what I need to know about my individual fish.
Now, with that being said, I am here to learn once again. I acquired my first discus yesterday morning and although I’ve familiarized myself with them, I have no experience with them at all. The discus I acquired, I believe to be a female “blue discus” but I could be wrong. Here’s where the experience, opinions, and photos come into play. I took these photos as soon as it was dropped into the tank so she hasn’t gotten comfortable yet. She wasn’t displaying her fins like she will once she’s more comfortable and I feel like she’ll color up a bit more too. I’ll post all the photos I have of her to help get better views/angles. Any tips or advice is appreciated!

PS: I know these aren’t typical discus tankmates and I know this tank isn’t necessarily set up to have discus, but I like The shape and all the colors.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1343734 View attachment 1343735 View attachment 1343736 View attachment 1343737 View attachment 1343738 View attachment 1343739 View attachment 1343740 View attachment 1343741 View attachment 1343742 First of all, let me start with this:
Thank you to all staff members and associates responsible for making this forum possible, and thank you to the members who provide their input and content.
I’ve been a member for a short time but have found a great wealth of information sharing while here that has taught me more in the time I’ve been here than what I could learn in a year by reading google. Facts are great for learning about something, but nothing helps you UNDERSTAND better than personal experience. Not all fish are equal, and no one thing will be the solution to everything. Because of this, I appreciate and welcome all suggestions, stories, and photos to help other aquarists and I learn and UNDERSTAND what I need to know about my individual fish.
Now, with that being said, I am here to learn once again. I acquired my first discus yesterday morning and although I’ve familiarized myself with them, I have no experience with them at all. The discus I acquired, I believe to be a female “blue discus” but I could be wrong. Here’s where the experience, opinions, and photos come into play. I took these photos as soon as it was dropped into the tank so she hasn’t gotten comfortable yet. She wasn’t displaying her fins like she will once she’s more comfortable and I feel like she’ll color up a bit more too. I’ll post all the photos I have of her to help get better views/angles. Any tips or advice is appreciated!

PS: I know these aren’t typical discus tankmates and I know this tank isn’t necessarily set up to have discus, but I like The shape and all the colors.

Stay consistent with aquarium maintenance and make sure Discus doesn't get harrassed or bullied .

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Thanks! I’m pretty good with water changes. It’s a barebottom system so I have that going for me lol. Yeah bullied might be the hard part haha. The datnoid doesn’t like any fish too close to him and the Uaru is a little punk haha.

Reactions: Matteus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Stay consistent with aquarium maintenance and make sure Discus doesn't get harrassed or bullied .
Agreed here, my discus friend says you must clean up all the debris in the water and on the tank walls. Otherwise the discus will get infections quite easily!

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Good call, I definitely don’t want to be dealing with infections!

Am I right to assume it’s a female? And the species?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Discus sp are mixed. I don't think the specific spexies pertains to much unless you have wild caught or f1 whatever fish. I'm not too sure on the sex

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Good call, I definitely don’t want to be dealing with infections!

Am I right to assume it’s a female? And the species?
Discus aren’t sexually dimorphic so anyone that claims they can guess the sex of that particular fish is lying to you. That is a red turquoise Discus and that tank is not particularly well suited to them. They are cichlids but aren’t as boisterous as most and will have a tough time competing for food. Not to mention, they have small mouths and will not be eating the chunks of tilapia, shrimp, or the size of pellets you are likely putting in there. As far as bullying goes, it’s not gonna be able to stand it’s ground or get away fast enough from a predator like a datnoid. It’s your right to try and it might even work out but that tank is less than ideal for a Discus. And no offense, but based on the questions you’re asking, it doesn’t seem you did all that much research on them. Good luck

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Discus aren’t sexually dimorphic so anyone that claims they can guess the sex of that particular fish is lying to you. That is a red turquoise Discus and that tank is not particularly well suited to them. They are cichlids but aren’t as boisterous as most and will have a tough time competing for food. Not to mention, they have small mouths and will not be eating the chunks of tilapia, shrimp, or the size of pellets you are likely putting in there. As far as bullying goes, it’s not gonna be able to stand it’s ground or get away fast enough from a predator like a datnoid. It’s your right to try and it might even work out but that tank is less than ideal for a Discus. And no offense, but based on the questions you’re asking, it doesn’t seem you did all that much research on them. Good luck
You’re absolutely right, I didn’t do any research on it. It came for next to free with some fish I bought and I’ve seen the price tags on larger discus. I figured it’s priced right to try it or sell it.
As far as food, I feed flakes to my silver dollars from time to time and I feed floating food sticks as well. Nice and small, soft, and fall apart easily when bitten. I have some tiny silver dollars in there with small mouths as well.
The datnoid is a huge puppy though because I don’t feed any live food at all. It just likes it’s space.
But based on your reply, I’m leaning towards getting rid of it.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
No one can tell you what you should or shouldn’t do. I’ve seen some odd mixes but that ones a stretch. Discus are worth setting up another tank for...very majestic

Reactions: Hendre

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Funny, I’m actually considering that so I can keep it! It may take a while because I’ve got 3 already with no designated “fish room” so we’ll see what I can swing.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store