my first water change on my ray tank

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
i just did my first water change on my ray tank. i did about 40-50% change for my pair of teacup retics.

so far so good, they still look to be doing fine. i know they are really sensitive (the species and the size) but im pretty confident with my fish keeping skills that i can handle stingrays, or so i hope lol

they were hiding during most of the change under sand and remained there for the refill, and shortly there after, but they are now out and about which to me is a good sign that i didnt screw anything up.

i was really nervous about water changing them because i didnt want to shock and kill then because people always say how sensitive they are. its kind of intimidating when people say that all the time lol so i was nervous but i think they are just fine, and i hope it stays that way.

Dan

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Sounds like you are doing a good job with them. I got my retic at that size and had no problems. I think that when you worry about how fragile they are is when you may run inot problems cause you are over causous.

How often are you going to do water changes? I would suggest at least once a week if not more.

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
i change water in my tanks once a week some times 2. i go by how fast the water level drops. i dont have lids on all my tanks so evapouration is when i know its time, i run AC filters, so when the water flow gets too loud i know its time for a change

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
keep up the good work!

i do a 75% water change for my ray every week.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Gotchya.

Blackwitmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Legal Tender
Its the best thing for them feed plenty and change the water massively, just like the rain and the water falls in the wild and your fish will grow super quick, also for water conditioners I use Amquel, and Nova aqua, I drain all water below the rays disc so they are floping out of the water and then I add the recommended dosage of both chemicals then I add water and the fish love it:woot:

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i would put some sort of cover on your tank i had a castexi jump out a few yrs back and die

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store