My Florida Gar 11+ years.

Pedro Gonzalez

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2022
gars do not need driftwood, in fact it just impedes their swimming and is unnecessary.

congrats on keeping your FL gar for 11 years! that is quite the accomplishment and the fish is looking good. for tankmates i would suggest polypterus species and other gars...south American lungfish can also be a reasonable tankmate. good luck--
--solomon
Polypterus is a good suggestion. However, not the lung fish. Every So. American lung fish I had were very aggressive towards All other fish-including other lung fish. I always had to keep them alone in their own tank because they would Always attack and kill Anything in the tank with them.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
So, just as an update. The gar is still alive, and 15 months ago, actually went to live in Ohio with Ohio Fish Rescue people. We moved across the country, and sold all of my aquariums. I see him on their YT channel from time to time, still going strong.

I've just read through this whole thread and loved it but that was a shocker at the end. Must have been a wrench to give him up. I love their YT channel which tank is he in?

Reactions: bacon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store