My frist Time Angel Fish lay eggs

TekOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2017
Sunland
Get a nice breeding pair from fellow here. It is second days of their New Home and they start lay eggs on the state.

They are in a 25g long tank with HOF with alot songe filter. water running slow about 60-80g per hours.

Temp is around 79-80 F.

Water parameter is little off, Nitrate is 20ppm and Nitrite is 1ppm and pH is 7.0

I want their to hatch and keep the frys raise by their parents. Is any suggest or comment?

Should i make a 20% Water change after they finish lay their eggs?

1106171823.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What is your ammonia reading? If you don't have a seeded sponge or cycled small hob filter for a fry aquarium I suggest leaving them in with the parents.

TekOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2017
Sunland
My test strip doesn't have ammonia reading. This is my first time have breeding pair, I definitely like to them with the parent. but, i wonder when should I make some water change?

4 hours now, the male and female taking turn to doing things on their slate.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My test strip doesn't have ammonia reading. This is my first time have breeding pair, I definitely like to them with the parent. but, i wonder when should I make some water change?

4 hours now, the male and female taking turn to doing things on their slate.

Don't disturb them and maybe do a wc tomorrow.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I had a breeding pair of angels recently. I tried leaving the parents in with the eggs/fry several times but one or the other parent always ate them. Always worth a try though.

I eventually raised two batches of fry by removing the eggs soon after they were laid and placing them in a grow out tank.

My second and now last batch of fry are approaching quarter size and I will be taking some to an area fish shop. It is the last batch because the male fell to wounds inflicted by the female. I had seen them fight from time to time pretty strongly over the several months they were together.

Anyway they would produce eggs a couple of times a month, so even if you lose this first batch more are likely to be laid before long.

If you decide to go the route of moving the eggs to a growout tank I can tell some of the lessons learned.

Good luck

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

TekOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2017
Sunland
Thanks for the info..

I just able change 15~20% of their water. The male Angel act likes he scare, whenever I try to feed or try place a tube for WC, he jerk all over inside the tank, he almost bit the pieces of slate off. I though at this state, the male usually act as aggressive not scare right?

So far, they both act as good parent, they take turn doing things on the slate as above picture showed.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks for the info..

I just able change 15~20% of their water. The male Angel act likes he scare, whenever I try to feed or try place a tube for WC, he jerk all over inside the tank, he almost bit the pieces of slate off. I though at this state, the male usually act as aggressive not scare right?

So far, they both act as good parent, they take turn doing things on the slate as above picture showed.
Hello; A 25 gallon is not so large and most anything you try to do might disturb the parents. My take is that unless there is some urgent problem with the water quality I would leave off WC and such for a few days. The more you mess with the tank could mean the parents will eat the eggs.
Yes the parents will be aggressive to any other fish but you are a monster compared to them.

Yes my pair took turns cleaning the eggs with their mouth. The female would also move slowly over the eggs fanning them with her pectoral fins. With each batch they did well for several days and up to a weeks or so. They even would move the eggs and later wrigglers to new places. Alas they would eventually eat them all.

TekOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2017
Sunland
Wiggling stage this morning. Parents doesn't like to eat. Feed they will blood worm and Tetra Angelfish food. No respond. They both are excellent parents, 24hrs took care their eggs.

Should be the time to make some WC? What else can I do help them and their babies?

TekOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2017
Sunland
Oh yeah.. My first batch didn't go well. No experience ower by separate them of the parents and No Baby Brine Shrimp to feed them. All them can not last more than 2 weeks.

A week after separate with parents, the parents lay anther batch of eggs. This time, I kep them with parents till now. All of them are eating BBS and Healthy, I survival rate 90 out of 100 Baby Frys. I only see 2 death baby fish so far. I'll post some pictures of these baby frys. feel free to post any suggestion or comment.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store