My GATF

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I purchased a 9.5 inch GATF 2 days ago. It is thick and healthy. The shop I got it from had just got the shipment in but for the price and considering 2 of 4 were alredy gone in a day i pulled the trigger a bit more prematurely that I would have liked. It had a bit of ammonia burn as the shipment was delayed. I wanted to wait for it to eat at the shop but had the feeling it would be gone. So i got it home and into my tank. I have moved out the tankmates that bothered it. I continue feeding my other fish massivore smelt and cut tilapia. Not wanting to get feeders what should i try? I read they can last a bit of time at this size not eating but i don't want to go to long. It is housed with an armatus same size that eats smelt. An african aro that just eats whatever is tossed in and bichirs. If i need to get feeders it is not an issue but prefer getting it onto smelt, tilapia, or preferably pellets. My last GATF i got was trained before I got it so this is new. Any input/ advice will be greatly appreciated.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Only thing you can do is starve it really. If you feel it won't eat try and get some feeders to QT for a week fatten them up then throw them in so you can see if he's gonna eatvat all yet. If he does then starve again can break a hook so it's straight and doesn't hurt him, put food on it and make jerky motions to try and get his attention

Reactions: Troy1015

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I had a tank of spare feeders for my failed grow up so I drop them in about 20 of them and at ate 3 so at least I know what's healthy to eat how long can it go for a 9 and 1/2 in without eating I just want to make sure when I start it I don't over starve moe214 moe214 Chicxulub Chicxulub

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Thanks guys. Lets see if today he goes for anything. Since it ate It was a relief even though its feeders. Today I will continue my regular feedings, chopped smelt and massivore. My brother is going to give me some floating pellets to try as well. I picked up a FX6 to help add flow and tank turnover. I'll hook it up at the weekend. I will try and snap some pics.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
For me the best time to get a healthy and large fish to eat prepared foods is from the start. After a few days, a week at most, my VATF and GATF learned what new foods were offered and started taking them.

If you are starving an ATF, it could best be done without tank mates or they may get attacked, no matter their size.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for the advice guys. I have remove most tank mates for the time being. Today I cooked Austin Cuts melt and cut tilapia towards the power head and current the Goliath did not eat but it definitely caught his attention. Although it didn't bite it definitely swam towards it to investigate what it was I think this method will work. I don't have that much willpower to starve fish so hopefully in the next 3 to 5 days it will eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store