My life with 2 Gulper Catfish!

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
To start, so far this is over the course of 2 weeks, unfortunately I’ll be going on vacation for 2 weeks but when I’m back will continue to update as things progress/happen, but In this thread I want to update my experience and progress with keeping these magnificent beasts.

The gulper catfish, a fish I never knew existed until I saw it in the “Giant fishes” Amazonas Magazine, and ever since I’ve dreamed of owning one. Unfortunately living in Edmonton Alberta nothing crazy rare or big comes in my area, maybe the odd red tail cat or tiger shovel nose (a total I’ve seen in person about 3 times over 6 or so years) and every couple months some small motoros or silver arowanna. Once my LFS got in a small group of Honeycomb catfish (Tatia perugiae) and I was in love, this was the fish that really kicked me off into the hobby at 12 years old, he was in a 13 gallon with 4 guppies. He was my favourite fish for 6 months until we moved houses and he unfortunately didn’t make it (That’s probably why I was so in love with gulpers since they remind me somewhat of a big honeycomb cat) Recently on a whim I decided to check my favourite importers lists and it surprised me that he had just got gulpers in, a fish I’ve searched for years. I quickly messaged him and was told they only came in a few days ago and already only 2 left, I instantly bought them and they were set to arrive in 3 days.
I had a 55 quarantine tank setup and ready (for another fish - but these took priority) so I put in an egg crate divider to avoid any possible cannibalism, with a large peice of driftwood on the right side for hiding space and to lower pH, and a small fake plastic driftwood on the left (I ran out of driftwood), the tank also has an eheim 150W heater, and 2 Aquaclear 30s and a small power head.
Before I leave, Im planning to get another driftwood piece on the left side, some PVC pipes, make some caves out of rocks and slate, possibly add some love plants like anubias and Java fern, and upgrade their filters to a Tidal 55 and 75.

They both arrived alive and healthy, although both were light from the stress of shipping one was almost completely white/silver but that went away after about 3 hours of being in the tank.
To make things easy, I’ve dubbed these guys #1 (left side/first pic) and Silver (right side/bottom pic)
8404B6E2-F317-4756-B660-9BA537F1179E.jpeg707F16E3-EB68-461A-A482-B1173E65EB35.jpeg

Around the end of the next day I tried feeding them a peice of frozen/thawed shrimp, “silver” took it right away but #1 wanted nothing to do with it, although his whiskers did perk up he wasn’t interested.4277851C-6A4B-47E9-BB54-86EF07168CA7.jpeg12890C72-0764-494A-A4F3-783AD5BD46BF.jpeg

The next day there was a small blue rock on the bottom of the tank (I’m assuming that #1 coughed up and that was the reason for him not eating) so I thawed some tilapia and he took it right away. Although I noticed something concerning, #1 has fish lice. With a bit of work the louse was successfully removed! Although #1 wasn’t too pleased.C6279574-F493-485A-94E0-9D63382C62BD.jpeg699BE7C2-F380-4765-B287-E01F41356A04.jpeg

2nd feeding was tilapia Fillets with Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets inside. #1 Greedily took and scarfed one down, Silver on the other hand was a bit reluctant. Showed interest and intent to eat but never fully took, my hunch is he may not like tilapia or pellets so I’ll be going to the store later today to pick up some shrimp and try the same method will pellets and see if he’ll take it.
4039B0D5-C5EA-4110-846B-FE25A4588143.jpeg
But that’s all for now, until I’m back from vacation and can update more. Until I figure out how to properly use pictures/videos on here, I’ve uploaded videos to YouTube if you want to check it out:

7DDE96D3-2B24-4DB9-83CD-70BBF890F789.jpeg

28934373-F4DD-4B58-BC1C-E0A152CC142A.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I love gulpers! Sorry to hear about the fish lice, that is frustrating. You might want to look into treatment despite removing the one; where there’s one, there might very well be more… different sizes, different life stages. Good luck! And enjoy this great catfish

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
The last update before I leave on vacation, I got them another heater and filter unfortunately my LFS was pretty sold out so the rest will have to wait for when I get back. Also with the advice from thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter and kno4te kno4te (I hope it’s okay to mention them) I removed the divider and it wasn’t long until they both met under the large driftwood (seems to be the desirable spot) at first there was a bit of mouths open pushing on one another and a bit of fin “biting” and they also did a couple T poses like how corydoras do when breeding. After about an hour they just swim side by side under the driftwood, I decided to boil some Oak leaves and put them into the tank along with the water (I’ll do another small batch before I leave) “Silver” started developing a small white patch at the dorsal fin, at first I thought it was a scratch or bump of some kind but after a closer look it turned out to be another louse which was quickly dealt with tweezers. I’m afraid to to any type of meds for since I’ll be gone (and I don’t trust people with my fish lol) But I’ll look into lice meds once I’m back. 236AE053-37E1-469D-B226-F68C23463D3E.jpegFAE0C3EF-F631-40E0-AD12-A37D3F4C134E.jpeg38BED473-C0FB-4527-A758-FBA9621B0109.jpeg02DD2E5C-2F4E-48B2-90EF-A10479BCC626.jpegD662A41E-D988-41EE-BC3B-A9EE406AAC55.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A delightful start to a story. Thank you.

I'd treat with with Dimilin X when you are back to kill the lice. (That's what you get when you don't give vendor time to treat the fish but I understood the rush, plus fish lice are relatively easy to kill off.)

IME, catfish, including gulpers, tolerate medications as any average non-catfish fish. Perhaps safer to start at 1/2 dose only to make sure there is no adverse reaction and if there is none, increase the dose to the 75% and then to 100% recommended. Dimilin X is quite mild and safe against OD.

Reactions: CrunchyLobster123

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
I almost forgot about this thread have been meaning to update it for a while (sorry for digging up old threads) but after I got back from vacation the gulper tank had sprung a leak luckily I had basically got back just in time and the water level was about 1/4 but the gulpers were doing just fine. I didn’t have any extra tanks/dividers on hand so I quickly netted them and put them into a bucket and drained the rest of the tank, a friend was able to come and pick them up and put them into a 55gal quarantine tank to treat for any remaining lice and then his 120 gal sump (he took the wood and leaves aswell) his sump connected to 6 other 40 gallons that he was using to raise piranhas and breed a few other fish (plecos and angelfish) his tanks were kept on the warmer side (about 84) where the gulpers flourished they were fed tilapia and shrimp stuffed with carnivore pellets and soaked in vitachem alternating between small and semi large pieces a few times a week I just went with a different direction in my fish room and did quite a bit of downsizing for school and never took them back, gulpers lived for another 1.5 years until he had a heater malfunction that unfortunately killed everything in his system. I absolutely loved the gulpers (he did aswell) and I’m hoping once they are available around me I’ll try them out again and order a small group and can then either update this thread or start a new one.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store