My Midas Thread

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Finally, they're here...!

Yesterday I received 6 x 3" F1 Lake Arenal, Amphilophus citrinellus from Rob Johnston, Links Fish who brought them in from Cichlids of the Americas.

All are well and charging about like they own the joint and feeding well!

SO excited..!

I'm going to thin down to a solo male and sell off the others as I go. (What's the best way to do that in UK?)

Anyway, I thought I'd post some photos and I'll keep adding to see progress. I hope some of you will find it interesting, I know I'll enjoy looking back over their development.

So far, this is the best I could get on my phone with no lights. Please forgive the terrible photos. The next ones will be better.

Screenshot_20180524-114243.png Screenshot_20180524-114510.png Screenshot_20180524-114558.png Screenshot_20180524-130628.png Screenshot_20180524-132203.png

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Thanks
They're between 2.5 and 3 inches long including the tail and I got 6 of them.
They're beautiful, my crappy camera skills don't do them justice.

Reactions: Jexnell

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
They look great bud. That’s going to be an active tank for a while, should be fun to watch. That one in your last picture is my personal favorite, hope he makes the cut.

Reactions: JAX3000

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Nice clicks and the fish look cool..... what are you intending to feed them ?
Have they settled in
Thanks I'm trying, but you know how it is... little buggars won't sit still for half a second!

They're currently on Hikari Cichlid Gold, the smallest ones. I'll throw in some blood worms and brine shrimp here and there too... any advice on this would be appreciated if this is not good...??

Have they settled in? Yesterday, I'd have said yes. They were all over the tank (except one, that was spending half it's time at the back by the filter pipes) and when I approached the tank, they'd rush to the front of the glass! Then, last night when I approached the tank to feed them, suddenly they all panicked and darted for cover. I fed them and they left most of the food, so I netted it out which further spooked them. Then they all hid and I went to bed. This morning they're STILL ALL hiding up behind the filter pipes and looking very stressed...???

I might add some flower pots for now to give them some more hiding places.

Good idea?

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
They look great bud. That’s going to be an active tank for a while, should be fun to watch. That one in your last picture is my personal favorite, hope he makes the cut.
Thanks, it's been an active tank for 24 hours, until they all decided to go into hiding... but hopefully they'll be back out soon. I can't stop watching them!

Yeah, the last one is a good pic. My favourite fish is in the third pic. It's the biggest and badest... definitely the dominant one so far and interesting colours with a combination of the white, the dark orange head and pale orange tail, but we'll see how that develops with time. My Mrs likes the one in the second pic. It's very white with distinct Orange spots. She wants to call it "Spotty"! She and our 2 year old came up with that!

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Nice pickup. Have to say my favourites the one in the second pic. Although they're all stunners. I purchased two from Rob a few months back and can't wait to see how they turn out. Unfortunately though I had a leak in my 200 gal so my friends holding them for me at the moment. While he was away on holiday the female decided to pair up with his Carpintis and lay eggs :eek:

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Nice pickup. Have to say my favourites the one in the second pic. Although they're all stunners. I purchased two from Rob a few months back and can't wait to see how they turn out. Unfortunately though I had a leak in my 200 gal so my friends holding them for me at the moment. While he was away on holiday the female decided to pair up with his Carpintis and lay eggs :eek:
I'm CHUFFED with them all.

And oh dear... What's happening there then? Gonna just see what happens? I'm not a big fan if hybrids in general, but they could be some crazy beautiful fish, no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store