My new albino channel catfish won’t eat

Ian Goodwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
A few days ago, a got an albino channel catfish from the pet store. He is about 3in, and won’t eat. I have two ponds, one big pond with a few largemouth bass, and a smaller pond with only that catfish, just to keep him safe while he’s small. I have tried cut up pieces of surf perch(this is what I feed my bass, and it’s readily available for me ), and I’ve taken out all of his pond mates aand put tons of small night crawlers in hopes that he eats. This hasn’t worked yet, but I’ll keep trying. Any other suggestions? I’d really appreciate it

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A few days ago, a got an albino channel catfish from the pet store. He is about 3in, and won’t eat. I have two ponds, one big pond with a few largemouth bass, and a smaller pond with only that catfish, just to keep him safe while he’s small. I have tried cut up pieces of surf perch(this is what I feed my bass, and it’s readily available for me ), and I’ve taken out all of his pond mates aand put tons of small night crawlers in hopes that he eats. This hasn’t worked yet, but I’ll keep trying. Any other suggestions? I’d really appreciate it

Give more time.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Small fish will take some time to settle in a new space, particularly if a large tank or pond.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Add another catfish or two, when young they tend to hang together for safety, although as they get bigger they stop schooling

Ian Goodwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
Small fish will take some time to settle in a new space, particularly if a large tank or pond.
Thanks for the info, it’s a relatively small pond, about 25 gallons, so hopefully this should not take to long

Ian Goodwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
Add another catfish or two, when young they tend to hang together for safety, although as they get bigger they stop schooling
Thanks for the info, I might be able to go back to the pet store today and see if they have anymore of the same type of catfish. They might not because when I bought it it said first of the season, and this is the only good pet store within miles of it so they sell out quickly. so any way if this doesn’t work do you have any other suggestions?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for the info, I might be able to go back to the pet store today and see if they have anymore of the same type of catfish. They might not because when I bought it it said first of the season, and this is the only good pet store within miles of it so they sell out quickly. so any way if this doesn’t work do you have any other suggestions?
More cover in the form of plants/driftwood etc.
Once he starts eating he should grow fast

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
in with aggressive fish he might struggle to get food cat f=fish feed late as others might lay off food and give them a chance, mine I brought on separate to get them used to feeding then added

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
in with aggressive fish he might struggle to get food cat f=fish feed late as others might lay off food and give them a chance, mine I brought on separate to get them used to feeding then added
Channel cat struggling to get food? Unlikely lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store