my pond needs fish

ksiaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
I don't think the shad would fare well in your pond. They require very highly oxygenated water and the temps you have will not allow for this. Also, all species of carp are non-native, so if you want to keep it all native you should avoid all species of carp.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I just got a bowfin and he is gunna go in my pond next year. He is way too small as of now though. You should get a bowfin. They are so awsome. I love mine.

Chad

lostfedexman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2006
Canyon
when i used to have sunfish in my pond i would always find them the next day about 10-15 feet away from my pond all dried up and dead..i thought they were racoons maybe but i never found any bite or scratch marks in them..anybody know why that could have been?? but sunfish def. are cool when they are in a pond
The only thing I could think of is the little guys jumping, then when they get outa the pond they just keep flopin around till they're 15 feet away!

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I don't think the shad would fare well in your pond. They require very highly oxygenated water and the temps you have will not allow for this. Also, all species of carp are non-native, so if you want to keep it all native you should avoid all species of carp.
A lot of the fish you will find in local waters arent native...brown trout are from germany, carp from europe and asia, and many others are transferred from different states.
BTW shad are hard to keep alive, even for use as bait after a few hours in an oxygenated livewell they start dying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store