My Thorichthys Aureus tank

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Hello everyone, I’m sure your tired of reading about the changes to this tank. Let me assure you That this is the last time in a long time the stock will change. Both my Jaguar and Umbee are now in their bigger homes, and I was left with this 120 and no idea what I wanted to do.

I jumped around from one idea to the next and what I finally came to was I wanted a Thorichthys tank. So after a while of searching I finally found some Juvinile T. Aureus at Wetspot and jumped right away to pull the trigger. This tank is a work in progress and as I scape it and the stock grows I will update periodically. If for no other reason then that I am excited to keep this species.

My initial group consists of 15 juvinile T. Aureus along with 5 swordtails. We shall see how this stock works and adjust accordingly. So far I’m throughly enjoying these little guys.

The tank and scape thus far;
6D1F2D85-8FF6-4A2D-A88C-FAFD39E6A183.jpeg
CEC4F2EA-AB80-42C2-898A-505C86C0D4A3.jpeg

And a couple shots of th little guys;
C00E4342-9D29-465F-9D9D-8FE2423E85E2.jpeg

6F8BFE75-B9B9-42B0-AFEB-EA8A523E705A.jpeg
8E2F1BFE-2A7B-4235-BCC0-28AFA5BF4B29.jpeg
DE25ABCC-9C16-4606-94F6-57CE65A18C88.jpeg

P.s these are Thorichthys Aureus (gold) not Thorichthys Aureus (blue flash) to be honest I haven’t figured out the difference. So if some one could chime in that would be cool.

Last edited:

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Great looking tank. Are you adding more swordtails or hoping they populate on their own?
Yes, I do plan on adding more swordtails. However I want to be picky about them. Luckily where I live there are a TON of breeders of swords and different live bearers. But sometimes they don’t look so great and sometimes they look good. So I’m kind of hand picking my first stock. Then I’m sure they will self populate as well.

I’m also playing with the idea of a fancy pleco, although I’m afraid. If they do lay eggs that will nix ever getting any fry lol.

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
They are really lovely. I like the whole Thorichthys genus, though. If I were to keep some it would probably be T. aureus. I love maculipinnis’ looks but they seem to be the most aggro of the genus.

Nice tank, I like the aquascaping.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
They are really lovely. I like the whole Thorichthys genus, though. If I were to keep some it would probably be T. aureus. I love maculipinnis’ looks but they seem to be the most aggro of the genus.

Nice tank, I like the aquascaping.

Thank you, it’s a work in progress since I got the fish before the tank was fully scaped. But im glad I got them, their already full of that classic Thorichthys behavior gill flareing at 1 inch lol.

I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen full grown Aureus so I’m curious what their going to look like when they are finished growing.

I agree about thorichthys maculipinnis, very beautiful but I wanted a large group to get that awesome Thorichthys social behavior.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Looking good.
You can see those aureaus are going to be stunning. A mature male aureaus with fins erect with long trailers really is a sight to see.
Your patience in finding some quality aureaus will be well rewarded.
The scape is looking nice and as the plants mature will work well providing retreats and areas of resting for females that may not be ready to spawn.
Personally I would not add a pleco for 2 reasons. First of all it would spoil an otherwise geographically correct mix of species. Some pleco will also graze on algea that would provide a food source for your livebearers.
I also think they may munch on your cichlids eggs at night,should they breed.
Tank looks really nice and I think the stock will work great as it is.
Look forward to updates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store