My true texas cichlids growout thread

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Maybe it’s the gravel but don’t look like Texas…let’s see a pic
Looks like Texas to me, just really washed out due to juvie colors, stress, and gravel.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Maybe it’s the gravel but don’t look like Texas…let’s see a pic
Its probably the gravel.
You really wouldn't find this (or other similar Hericthys species of the clade on that dark color substrate.
They would be found on sand (on a natural beige sand color)
Here they are probably trying to match the dark so as not to be obvious , and are a bit paranoid because the dark is making them sitting ducks, easy to spot as targets for birds of prey.
From above this is how they normally blend in to a natural sandy substrate, (there are at least 3 in the photo below)
1623687680771.png
From the side they are easy to spot by potential mates over sand.
H carpintus Location "Laguna Chairel" below
1623687875419.png

Spikes92

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2021
Texas
Its probably the gravel.
You really wouldn't find this (or other similar Hericthys species of the clade on that dark color substrate.
They would be found on sand (on a natural beige sand color)
Here they are probably trying to match the dark so as not to be obvious , and are a bit paranoid because the dark is making them sitting ducks, easy to spot as targets for birds of prey.
From above this is how they normally blend in to a natural sandy substrate, (there are at least 3 in the photo below)
View attachment 1463677
From the side they are easy to spot by potential mates over sand.
H carpintus Location "Laguna Chairel" below
View attachment 1463678
The ones I got are cyanoguttatus " Santiago lerma " true texas , it's only when one of them is going after another stuff like that when the one gets really dark with brighter blue spots , it's only happened a couple times now tho.when that's not going on they look just like normal true texas I've seen pics of seems to be only when one is pissed that it happens lol I've always preferred dark background and substrate , and the breeder here that I got them from gets his breeders through Jeff rapps

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don't understand the washed out there colors always look great to me. Not meaning this in a rude way at all just so everyone knows
I just mean that in the first pictures, they don’t appear to be showing all their colors, but are looking dull compared to a fully colored up one would appear.

Reactions: Spikes92

Spikes92

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2021
Texas
I just mean that in the first pictures, they don’t appear to be showing all their colors, but are looking dull compared to a fully colored up one would appear.
I understand now lol my phone camera sucks but those pics where also when they were still really young and very small , they've grown more since then just not as much as I thought they would . I've read that's cyanoguttatus can be slow growers sometimes

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store