Mystus Leucophasis/Asian upside down catfish

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Have kept these for many years and replaced the two I had with two more when they died maybe four years ago. Mine are in a tropical pond with generally larger fish but can hold their own. At four years they are around 10-12". Unfortunately I would suggest a tank size for one of 70g minimum and bigger is better. If you get the decor right they are very visible, and fairly active during the day but prefer to spend all the time upside down and as such providing them rocks or wood at various levels they can move along/between in shade will get the most out of them. They are quite quarrelsome and don't like other fish under their rock/wood. Tank mates will need to be similar size and robust. Oscars and various conclude make good tank mates as do larger plecs if there is sufficient cover/ room. Small fish would not last long as they will eat other fish, and the nigriventris is too small to risk with a full grown ml simp!y because they can be bullies but if both small they may get on for some time. They used to be very available and cheap but are a little harder to find now, not because they are rare, more because shops have to buy large quantities and not many want 50 potentially 12" all black bullies returned to them when community fish have long been eaten by unsuspecting owners.
great fish of you have the conditions and tank mates for it.feeding is daily easy, I find they eat pellets, fish bits, prawns, mussels, in fact the list goes on!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store